Hi all,
A few days after Christmas, I decided to restart WoW again after a hiatus since WoW classic (where I had a rogue, but only made it to 56). With the help of some very nice leveling guides, I managed to hit 85 pretty quickly (by my standards at least; around 6.5 days /played).
I've managed to gear up pretty quickly and pretty well thanks to the fact that I have 3 family members on my server with multiple level 85s who have been playing since WoW classic.
However, tanking is brand new to me, so I wanted to ask a whole bunch of things that confuse/worry me or that I'm unsure of. Thanks in advance for helping.
1) Here is my Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... f/advanced
I'm working on my Dragonmaw reputation to replace my green helm. After that, what should I be targeting? Should I start trying to get into BH runs to get the t11 gloves and legs?
2) What is the best way to go about raiding for the first time? Doing a heroic is one thing -- I use the LFG tool and let them know at the beginning that I haven't done the dungeon before or I've only done it a couple times. There is no LFG tool for raiding, and not many PUG BH raids are going to take a new tank over someone who has run it before.
3) What DPS should I be pulling in AOE fights? Single target fights? I'm obviously not a DPS class, but does my DPS matter as long as I'm keeping threat on everything? Dungeon wide I'm around 6-7k. But I've heard someone say (perhaps exaggerating) that their prot pally has put up 14k in AOE pulls.
4) My AoE rotation is typically:
Pull with AS -> Judgment -> HotR -> HW -> HotR -> AS (if up). Repeat -> WoG at 3 HP (or SotR if heals are particularly good)
My single target is basically the same except CS instead of HotR
I notice I have a delay in my cycle (cue pregnancy jokes) at times where everything is on cooldown. Is that to be expected? It's not long, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Is my rotation typical?
5) Am I SUPPOSED to keep threat on everything, particularly in heroics? Is it OK to let the DK or Warrior DPS pull aggro on one of the mobs? I'm not sure if it's better for me to take on everything thus losing life quicker or take on less but more people need to be healed. I typically try and grab everything (some situational exceptions), but I don't know if that's me just trying to do too much.
Sorry for so many questions, but thanks so much for reading. I don't think I've done too poorly thus far and there have been only a few wipes that I absolutely know were my fault (ignoring WoW's blame-the-tank-for-everything-including-no-CC mentality)
Cutwolf
Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm
