If so, are those numbers merely a scaling down block from 40 to 30 percent, or do they take into account some obscure 'average uptime' on Holy Shield?
I'm interested because MDR is a valuable stat for the 'proper but casual' tanks. I'll not argue that MDR is better than CTC for progression in content matching your gear. I'm pretty certain it's not. Us casuals, though, tend to be rather overgeared for our own progression, and we also do more mistakes (both personally and raidwide). This would be the reason we have to overgear content to down it in the first place
I plan to take an MDR stance, especially for my rank 1, and possibly rank 2, tier of failsafe gear guide, because I suspect that avoidance will be more valuable point for point than mastery from an MDR point of view, and the rapidly gearing tank (at least rank 1) should have rather minor issues with bursts while at the same time being so far away from capping CTC that overall survival is likely a better strategy for gearing.
A better geared failsafe tank should still see well over 90% CTC, in which case MDR centric gear should be used for those whose endgame consists of grinding five man heroics and pugging T11 raids. I won't advice anyone even only occasionally pugging early T12 bosses to build an MDR set, unless it's proven beyond doubt that a specific fight only runs physical damage as a dangerous 'back ground noise'.
Edit: Digren, are you fine with me stealing your fancy rank icons for use in my failsafe guide. If that's ok I'll try to approximate your tank ranks as much as possible in my own failsafe tank ranks. While some overlap is impossibleto avoid, I believe I should be able to come fairly close to yours.
