Firstly: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section.
I am a Holy Paladin, in a guild where we lack tanks that show up for whatever reason. We normally have 3 tanks ready to go (plus a trial that hasn't showed for a single raid yet), any day of the week, but as of later they have failed to show due to work, hospital or crashed computers and I've been put on the glorious job of tanking as my offspec is just tank. So I was sent to this site last night by our main tank, and I've read little here and there to see where I'm actually doing wrong. I'm not doing a terrible job, but it's nowhere near what I should be doing in all the aspects. My DPS as a tank is terrible, my threat seems a bit off (loosing aggro to the main tank was a big issue in last nights raid) but the general knowledge of the class is above standards.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... a/advanced
My gear choices is mainly based on what has been available for me to get in the raids we do, but all upgrades (besides Firestone upgrades) should be easy accessable as our normal tanks are geared to the teeth at this point. I'm currently at 103.26 avoidance according to a macro our main tank gave me, and I realise that I can drop a bit of mastery, dodge or parry in either way to stack more stamina for a better health pool. But exactly how much can I drop below the CTC cap that my buffs can get back? Mastery food and stamina flask is what I normally go for, then I got all the other necessary buffs that a 25man raid gives.
Falling back on trinket choices. I know the reputation mastery trinket is not the best choice to go for as a tank, but the extra strength boost is sort of needed for burst DPS when I taunt off the main tank the first time. This is also where I struggle to hold aggro off him as he's doing a ton more damage than I am. What would be the better trinket choice to get as going for BiS raggy style?
Rotation: CS > x > CS > x CS > x, is what i've been told and follow the best I can. I normally Judge > AS > HW > Conc priority on 'x' (SotR or Wog on 3 HP > all). Avenging Wrath when I need to taunt at the start for the extra burst DPS again, because I need it but I've been told to pop it when my vengeance is high. How do I get around the threat issue? I'm running with Seal of Light the entire fight for the extra healing as being a Holy paladin myself, I know the kind of damage tanks take. Can I afford using Seal of Truth at the start to boost my DPS, and when do I change it, how does other offtanks do? Is it even the right seal to use, do I change to Light at the start of P4? Looking at the logs our main tank is running with Seal of truth the majority of the fight, which can be the reason why I struggle with threat and DPS in comparison to him. Any tips?
http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/90498/ (Ignore the fact that I spent more time in Engulfing flames than outside of it, I'm still working on better movement.)
My spec looks to me like a standard spec a tank would normally go for, spending left over points in Retri tree to get Pursuit of Justice. Is there anything I can change in that to bring up my preformance to par with the main tank, or change for a different playstyle to what I have?
/nubtank
Cicela
Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 am
