I'm gearing up my Paladin and I'm totally lost right now. I read a lot of things about rotations, gearing strategies, etc, and I understand all of that. But I'm having huge problems actually putting that to practice.
So I know that I have to get hit to the cap, then get expertise to the hard cap, then choose between haste and mastery, basically. Since we're still progressing, our DPS isn't all that great, and I'm confident I can get the rotation down, I chose to favour haste over mastery.
But then the problems begin. I now have 4500 valour points (using a trick to be over the cap - sshh) and I have no clue what to buy. I own 3 different chest pieces and again no clue which one to use. Also I recently leveled Jewelcrafting, but I can't decide which gems to use. And finally, I'm just having a huge problem with reforging. So all of that leads to the fact that I'm now not as well geared as I should be.
So first of all, there's the choice between breastplates. I own Breastplate of Ancient Steel, Chestguard of Eternal Vigilance and Breastplate of the Kings' Guard.
Now something tells me that the last one, the King's Guard, is by far the best, since it has haste and mastery, which are both pretty good stats. However, the Eternal Vigilance one has expertise, which is very nice since I am not capped yet. But on the other hand it also has parry, which is less good than haste and mastery.
I face the same problem with choosing what to buy for VP, I'm mainly looking at legs right now: Kovok's Riven Legguards vs Legguards of the Unscathed.
So should I just take the one with expertise, because I'm not capped yet, and take the avoidance for granted? My other idea is to aggressively gem and reforge for expertise, and also take expertise food and an elixir, which should also bring me to the cap. Then I have the benefit of having the haste and mastery, but also being at the cap.
But in general, I have trouble choosing which items to get. For instance, I now have a cloak with hit and haste (Drape of the Screeching Swarm), but will a valour cloak with parry and mastery actually be better (eg. Yi's Cloak of Courage). And the same with rings; I have rings with haste/mastery and with hit/dodge, but the valour ones are with parry/dodge or expertise/crit. The parry/dodge one could probably be an upgrade to the hit/dodge ring, but the expertise/crit ring could be an upgrade (because of the expertise) or could just be total crap (because of the crit).
All in all, I think I'm just looking for an easy way to pick upgrades where possible. I tried Ask Mr. Robot, but it's giving me very strange results. When I just plug my character in and say "optimize", it puts me well below the expertise hard cap and decides to gem for stamina instead. When I fiddle with the stat weights, and basically put hit on 20 and expertise on 19.99 (to force them to be "important"), it still thinks that Breastplate of Ancient Steel is better than Chestguard of Eternal Vigilance (if I put it to "relative" instead of "absolute" comparisons), which makes no sense at all.
Finally, I have a separate question about trinkets. I now have Ghost Iron Dragonling and Brawler's Statue, with the dodge reforged to expertise. This seemed like a smart solution to get closer to the expertise cap. I also own the Bitterest Balebrew Charm, which has a nice chunk of stamina, and Heart of Fire which has mastery but not as much total ratings as the Brawler's Statue. I also happen to have Lessons of the Darkmaster for my DPS set, but I can't decide if that's nice enough for tanking as well. How should I decide which trinkets to pick?
Please be gentle in criticism.
