Hi, new tankadin here to bother all of you with questions. At the moment there's 2 things I'm wondering about and can't really find a good thread for them. And as it's stated in the title, those 2 are meta gems and professions.
Meta gems. I've been running with an austere primal diamond in mop since that's what most people and websites are suggesting. But is it really worth it? Without a meta gem in my helmet, I'm running with roughly 52052 armor and with one I get a 1050 increase (got another helmet with same armor to compare with). The difference is going from 53,16% to 53,65% phys dmg reduction, is that really worth it over the effulgent primal diamond 2% magic damage reduction?
While there are raid fights which doesn't seem to use magic dmg at all, from what I've noticed is that most do have at least a little bit. And if the increase in my phys dmg reduction is already so low, how does armor scale together with SotR and our passive 15% dmg decrease? Same question goes for effulgent on the passive 15% (SotR shouldn't affect it all though).
And then there's also the eternal primal diamond, which gives dodge and shield block value increase. I haven't tried using that one, but does the block value increase mean that we'd block for 31% of the dmg instead? That'd be pretty good for a paladin stacking a ton of mastery (like absalom for example), but would it be worth it to switch stam for dodge?
Now on to professions. What in your opinions is the strongest tanking professions in mop? Is it blacksmithing with it's ability to choose between 480 stam and 640 haste/mastery/exp/hit? Or possibly leatherworking with an insane 750 stam (though you do lose 170 mastery)?
Personally I'm running mining/engineering, but I've felt that engineering has been really weak and would never suggest anyone to pick it up for tanking. Not only does it give dodge which isn't nearly as useful as what the other professions gives you, but you can't even stack use trinkets with engineering at the same time (at least they're not on the same cd, you just can't use them at the same time). I'm hesitant to switch it out since I've always loved engineering, been running with it for years and have almost every recipe available which includes a couple that are rather annoying to get. But I feel that it's bringing me down quite a bit, which makes me a bit sad.
Sorry for making the profession question a bit of a double question after saying I had 2 questions, but I'm too lazy to rewrite it now. The meta gem question is more important right now anyway.
Nivan
Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 am
