Skip to content
Maintankadin

Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

Rayonus
Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

So apparently I missed something. I took a break between 5.0 - 5.2 to focus on real life stuff and now I'm ready to come back in full force with my shield. First thing I read up on is HASTE HASTE HASTE. I have people screaming at me you need haste. So I reforge and re-gem everything into haste while keeping a Hit and Expertise Cap on. Today I decided that I want to finally apply to a progression guild since I caught up to minimum requirement for ToT. Each person I have talked to Asked me why I geared the way I am. I thought this to be a regular question, however they are like "this is all wrong" please let me know what I'm doing "wrong". Should I just go back to Control/Mastery build till im in the 520's?

Armory
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... rok/simple

WOrld of Logs
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/cv5k4486laux0orw/
fuzzygeek
Thu May 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

Aside from the missing enchants, this is pretty much exactly what I would do with your gear. I would reforge the ring dodge->haste. Although if you can return that 522 trinket I would, personally, and spend the VP on something else (a belt, in your case).

I'd be curious to hear what people telling you you're wrong think is *right*, because what you've done is pretty much in line with the thinking here. Which is not to say other methods aren't also viable, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "wrong."
Promdates
Thu May 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

Hey Turok! I saw you in trade chat last night. Your gear is fine, a few extra dodge/parry items than most people would "like", but whatever. You can also probably swap out a few more of the haste/stam gems for straight haste.

Some people still assume that paladins want to gear up for dodge/parry or they want to go for mastery. For the most part, if you're familiar with your class/spec you can give up some survivability and go for haste to maximize damage. Granted, for 10 man, the incoming damage isn't what I experience on 25 so you don't need as much stamina. Feel free to message me tonight after 10 server if you're on, or send whomever you applied to to talk to me :P
Rayonus
Thu May 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

Thanks for fast response! I cant return the [Steadfast Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault] trinket but I do have 2395 V points to spend in which i was going to use for my Ret set. I just enchanted my two items.
lythac
Thu May 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

If you are raiding 10 man then go HASTE HASTE HASTE (keeping hit and exp caps), which it seems to be looking at the log and reading the responses. However if you are raiding 25 man Heroics (or aiming to) then your gems should be stamina focused.

As for "you are doing it wrong" responses, they are either stuck in the old mentality (as already mentioned) or comparing you to what Treckie of Method does as that is obviously what you should be doing.
Rayonus
Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

As of Monday I will be focusing on 25 Man with a new guild. So what gems should I be Socket? I will be also fairly under geared for the content they will be doing but they are Ok w/ that. However, i would like to optimize to the best of my ability so I'm not a bourbon.
fuzzygeek
Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

What's wrong with being a bourbon?

You'll want to pick up more stam, but don't be dumb about it. Matching bonuses with hybrids is probably sufficient unless they're going to pull you face first into heroic raiding right off the bat ...
Fetzie
Fri May 10, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

I prefer single-malt to bourbon myself.

If you use hybrid gems, you'll be fine. Haste/Stamina in blues and yellows, expertise/stamina in reds. Try to use Haste/Stamina in sockets where you don't mind losing the socket bonus.

Stuff does hit quite a bit harder, so be smart with your ShoR casts and remember to use/refresh Sacred Shield as appropriate.
Rayonus
Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 am

Re: Returning to 5.2 from 5.0

LOL, i just realized i said Bourbon instead of burdon, stupid auto correct. Anyway, yea ill stick with Hybrid gems for not. It seems that Dodge and Parry are somewhat useful but I should really focus on Stam/Haste