Skip to content
Maintankadin

New pieces have spell hit... RD now uses melee hit?

Rasmfrackn
Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:33 pm

New pieces have spell hit... RD now uses melee hit?

I guess the testing isn't in yet on how RD is going to work with the new 2.3 changes to taunt mechanics, but if spell hit is replaced by melee hit for RD... doesn't that leave judgement of R/V as our only use of spell hit while tanking?

I thought maybe holy shield had a spell hit check, but i've got 100% holy shield use from my last kara run, so maybe that's not true. If Avenger's Shield uses melee hit/crit stats, and holy shield is only partially resistable and not affected by spell hit... is spell hit worth it if RD becomes melee hit ?

The 2 new badge items with spell hit and tank stats make it seem like blizzard's right and left hands may be mis-communicating again. Or is spell hit still worth pursuing, even if we find out RD isn't affected by it in 2.3?
_________________
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Aalryn
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:02 pm
even if they weren't changing taunt mechanics I wouldn't waste the itemization points on spell hit. I'd just get the warrior pieces instead for more avoidance
_________________
Official tankadin of The Core <Tichondrius>
Winchester
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:17 pm
indeed its a nice free buff for me Smile 3% hit from talents, 1% from racial.
4% less chance to fuck up for me in 2.3
_________________
Winchester 70 Draenei Paladin - Shattered Halls EU
Swagger
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:40 pm
Consecration
Exorcism (vs. undead/demon)
Holy Wrath ("")

It helps, just not as much as it would have had they not made the taunt mechanic change.
_________________
Wulfhere
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:42 pm
Holy Shield damage does get resisted and I assume it's based on spell hit. Wowwebstats doesn't pick it up because of the way it's listed in the combat log. Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen anything other than a full resist on Holy Shield.

11/6 21:59:23.609 Lord Crispin Ference resists your Holy Shield.
Rasmfrackn
Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:38 pm
Hrm, exorcism and holy wrath are good points.

So is there a way to parse missed holy shields? A missed spell and a fully resisted spell look the same afaik, but one is affected by spell hit and one is not. I see plenty of partial resists on my holy damage versus bosses... even when JoR crits it can be partially resisted. Seeing a 200 dmg JoR or 400 dmg JoR crit makes me sad. Sad

Watching Consecrate ticks, I'm anecdotally convinced it cannot "miss" but can only be partially/fully resisted. Holy shield is harder to pick out from the spam since a whole bunch of numbers fly up together when I block... or I'm staring at someone's feet.

... ahh, I see the combat log uses the target's name first and your name not at all. Instead of the usual "Your X was resisted by Y" it uses "Y resisted holy shield". Lame.
_________________
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
kalbear
Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:59 pm
Ooops! Sorry about that. Forgot about the draenei racial.

To add something actually constructive: consecrate can be 'missed', but only on the first tick.
Silandra
Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:15 am
Pick up the eye of Mag and watch that thing proc like crazy in a big AE fight. Razz
_________________
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Worldie
Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:05 am
Actually i never use spellhit gear (got a couple of items with gems or just spellhit on them) since it's not like resists will affect our threat generation, in a way that is worth worrying.
The spellhit can be useful in 5 men where a resist may mean losing aggro to that pom pyro puller mage.
I think i will get some gear with normal hit rating for Leotheras and for the Bear in ZA tbh.
_________________