Skip to content
Maintankadin

Northrend Beasts Made Simple

Róuge
Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

gokuson wrote:once acidmaw is dead, the rest of the instance can be 3 manned (one tank and 2 healers).


On one of the attempts my guild made 20man (we did not have enough DPS online at start of raid, and we wanted to see the encounter to learn it better), Icehowl enraged due to having a few die in phase 2 and taking a long time (not becuase he slammed someone in the wall).

Can anyone else confirm there is an enrage TIMER for Icehowl?
Passionario
Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

According to the EJ discussion, Northrend Beasts have a 15 minute enrage timer.
Elsie
Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

For phase 2, we used two tanks. As it's impossible to tell which will come up first, simply do this: Have one tank assigned to always taunt and talk the first that comes up, and the other tanks the second who comes up starting with a taunt. Fairly simple, no fuss.

Also we used 2 protection paladins. In "phase 2" of phase 2, Burning Bile is on random raid members. We simply formed a triangle using the boss, me, and the first burning bile target adjacent to me (right triangle). By "me" I mean the person kiting. In this manner, I could never be poisoned long (burning bile was always close) and the raid always knew where to run to remove poison. Furthermore, the other tank would just bubble to remove his poison using the following macro:

/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield
/cast Hand of Reckoning

Tada! No aggro loss, no poison debuff. For phase 3, well, it's a game of dodge ball. We always had a hunter prepared to tranquil shot, and I ran away from where he was charging to allow maximum dispel time just in case. He did manage to enrage and proc ardent defender once. It was scary.

For phase 1, we just had all the DPS swap to snobolds and taunt-swapped every 3 debuffs.
Corpsicle
Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

I haven't tried it yet, but my guild seems to have discovered that you can single tank the 2 jormungar and according to my raid leader it vastly simplifies the fight. I'm sure I'll be trying this later on this week, I'll post back with my thoughts on it at that point.
gokuson
Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

Corpsicle wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but my guild seems to have discovered that you can single tank the 2 jormungar and according to my raid leader it vastly simplifies the fight. I'm sure I'll be trying this later on this week, I'll post back with my thoughts on it at that point.



the only problem i see here is that the grobulus like poison clouds will stack up. i think it can be done with one tank if you are going for the acheivment, and you have all dps switch to the moving one after each phase change so that they always attack the moving jor. That way you build up enough of a threat lead on the stationary so that he'l keep attacking you even when you are not at melee range, although im not sure if no one is in melee range of him if he will start casting on random party members.
Elsie
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

gokuson wrote:
Corpsicle wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but my guild seems to have discovered that you can single tank the 2 jormungar and according to my raid leader it vastly simplifies the fight. I'm sure I'll be trying this later on this week, I'll post back with my thoughts on it at that point.



the only problem i see here is that the grobulus like poison clouds will stack up. i think it can be done with one tank if you are going for the acheivment, and you have all dps switch to the moving one after each phase change so that they always attack the moving jor. That way you build up enough of a threat lead on the stationary so that he'l keep attacking you even when you are not at melee range, although im not sure if no one is in melee range of him if he will start casting on random party members.

The worms are huge, so you can kite a fair bit in a V pattern and the raid will be fine.
Digren
Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

On 25 man

First guy:
We use two tanks (war/druid) taunting off each other as their impale stacks fade.
Disarm rotation slows stack building (he can't apply it while disarmed) so the tanks only stack up to 1 or 2 between taunts.
I pick up aggro on snobolds. Even though they are untauntable, etc., they can be easily pulled off their "target" via threat.

Second pair:
We have war tank on acid and a war tank on fire during phase one. On phase two, I pick up fire and hold him at range. Phase one again the other picks him up again.

Last one:
The druid picks him up. Try to tank with the mob's back against a wall so the melee DPS don't lose as much DPS time (and the druid can charge back). Easy tank and spank.

Got it in two attempts last night. First attempt we lost a few too many DPS during the worms, and hit the enrage timer on the last mob. =/ On the second attempt, we lost the war tank on the first guy, lost the other war during the second pair, then lost the druid on the last mob, but the DPS stayed up and I was still ok and we pulled through.
Digren
Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Northrend Beasts Made Simple

gokuson wrote:although im not sure if no one is in melee range of him if he will start casting on random party members.

He does not. He can be held at range.