Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Mogget
Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:22 am

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

the tankspot one is probably correct. I have never done the fight and based my post only on videos I have seen where it seemed like people stopped taking damage when they reached roughly 20%. Assuming dps have roughly 20k hp then at 20% they will have 4k hp, which means the leech will be doing ~800 dmg per tick. Meaning you probably want your healers to try to keep people at roughly 30-40% rather then letting them drop to 20%
Mialina
Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 am

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Simple Question: How big an advantage is Ardent Defender for the leech phase? I think it would be pretty good considering the tank will be getting melee hits + leech dmg at the same time. Any comments?
Belloc
Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

I'd imagine it wouldn't be any better for this fight than it would be for any other. The tank is still being healed to full constantly, so he really shouldn't be dropping low any more than any other tank. I'm sure it's still an advantage, but the exact same advantage that it is on every other fight in the game.
Ruull
Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

I assume the leeching swarm will eventualy kill you if you have just 1 hp left, right?


Ya there is a mininum tick damage though as long as you're above that it won't kill you (I wanna say its like 200 and some odd). We did this on the PTR and it was really easy tbh.

Just offtank the adds that come up and burn anub. There's little frost orbs that float around the room make sure the range are bringing them down to freeze the ground. When he burrows he'll chase someone have them run into the ice patch and he'll freeze himself.

At 30% just picture Huhu from AQ its a flat out burn but as long as everyone is alive (and they really should be) its a pretty easy kill.
Soranthalas
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Mogget wrote:Think the boss himself is tank & spank to begin with, but there will be some adds that will need to be dealt with. There are 2 different type of adds, 1 is scarab swarm and is probably rather harmless. Other I do not recall what are called, but they need to be tanked on top of a permafrost, else when they reach, I think it is 20% hp, they will burrow underground and regen their hp to full, un-burrow and attack again. By tanking them on the permafrost you prevent them from burrowing making them killable.

...until he reaches 30% or 20% at which point he starts channeling Leeching Swarm. Leeching swarm will damage everyone in the raid for 20% of their max hp every second until they reach 20% of their max hp at which time the spell stops doing damage to them. He continues to channel the spell until he dies. There is no way to interrupt or silence the channel. Anub'arak will be healed for all the damage he does with Leeching Swarm. At this point no one except the tanks should be healed since it merely results in anub'arak healing himself. Handle adds and burn down the last 20% and the boss dies.


The main issue with the larger adds (not the scarabs) is tanking on the permafrost. You don't want the first two to burrow, or once they heal and the second groups spawns you will have 4. They also buff each other similar to Auriya's cats. You don't want four of them at once.

Leeching swarm starts at 30% I think, and it does 10% of your current health each tick but there is no point where it stop dealing damage to you. The raid needs to be healed -some-. We tried to keep them around 40% last night, and we one shot him.
Trevize
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Clarification for anyone doing this. You CAN NOT prevent Anub from burrowing no matter the size of the ice patch.

The little scarabs have a nature damage dot that stacks to 100 is seems. DO NOT tank these if you are main tanking the boss. I was in the 50 stack range and I had about a 25,000 dmg tick every 3 seconds. The DOT lasts for 60 seconds so it is brutal if you can't remove it.

Same with the burrowers. They get a damage increase when they are close together so have the off tanks hold them separate and don't multi tank with the boss. At one point it was a 300% dmg intake increase...I think with 3 stacked up at one time.

Main tank just hold him in the middle and tank/spank. Off tanks have to grab adds and do a lot of moving; keeping burrowers on the frozen patch etc.

Probably the hardest fight on regular mode...but pretty easy. Have to have decent dps and good target switching to get past the enrage timer.
kanst
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

What worked for us was 3 tanks. I was maintanking and I tanked Anub so his ass was on frost. When the adds spawned one was tanked on melee one was tanked away, ranged burned the far one, then what was left of the close one. The tanks just picked up and tanked the other 2 adds. During burrow phase (the easiest part of the fight) we burned down any remaining adds then tanks ran around and picked up as many of the lil adds as possible

This was our first week of trying to run 2 25 man Toc's so we had around 7 alts in the run, this fight was actually a lil bit of a challenge. It took us a few tries to get our strat down right. But our kill was pretty much perfect, have no clue how long we had on enrage cuz dbm timers aint workin
Dianora
Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Belloc wrote:I didn't see any mention of Anub being prevented from burrowing in that thread, so I am going to assume that you either misinterpreted my post or that you were confirming that he will always be able to burrow no matter what.

edit: Your post in the other thread confirms it. Thanks.


We tried to prevent him from burrowing. It seemed that has been removed from PTR. We got a permafrost patch that's twice as large as his hitbox, and he still burrow.

As for tanking the 2 elite burrowers, our dps isn't the greatest in the world, so we actually tank both of them on a patch and have the main tank drag Anub'arak right next to the patch so we can dps all 3 at the same time for the first wave. for the 2nd wave, we concentrate on Anub'arak and finished up on the burrowers while getting everyone to bunch up on the burrowers' tank. Our MT disconnected at the 2nd Anub'arak's burrow, so I have to take over MTing, and our other burrower tank have to do both burrowers at the same time.
Arcia
Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Havent done the 25 man version of this fight yet since I couldnt attend our last 25 man raid, however, from what I heard my guildies were having problems with people dragging impales through the raid resulting in alot of dead people.

Anyone have any tips for avoiding things like that?
fuzzygeek
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Arcia wrote:Havent done the 25 man version of this fight yet since I couldnt attend our last 25 man raid, however, from what I heard my guildies were having problems with people dragging impales through the raid resulting in alot of dead people.

Anyone have any tips for avoiding things like that?


Heroic or normal?

In normal, everyone should be standing on ice, all the time. Move away from impact points for the minor pbaoe, but that's pretty much it.

If you're at heroic anub, I assume your guild is smart enough to be spatially aware and people know to get away from any area between Anub and the guy with the hovering hunter's mark.
Arcia
Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Im talking about the 25man normal version, 10man is no problem since there isnt alot of ppl.

And unfortunatly alot of my guildies arent smart enough to be spatial aware enough, if they were I wouldnt have to ask for pointers now would I ;)
fuzzygeek
Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Just get more ice.

In normal there's no reason to have people on open ground that Anub might be kited through -- If people aren't standing on ice, they need to move.

Also, get more ice. :]
Joanadark
Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: [Anub'arak] Preperation for Boss #5

Paladins tanks are EXTREMELY good for tanking the adds. This is because blocking mitigation is applied before the damage multiplier by the stacking debuff they put on you. Paladins take massively reduced damage when stacking block value gear as compared to other forms of tank.