Skip to content
Maintankadin

MT Threat Issues, help needed.

Havén
Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 pm
Be wary, your OT may want to be MT, i was MT in a Naxx progression while the local warrior was lazy and had not reached 80, he reached it gathered crit cap stuff threw vigilance on me and walked me around like a puppet on a string, this guy ended up taking guild groups to 10mans while the raid ldr was away and not inviting me on purpose, next thing i knew he started a cou and left to start his own guild with half the guild, well most of the good raiders..... beware!
_________________
Widdox
Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 am
I went from blowing away our bear druid on threat to even over 1 upgrade. He got a good staff. Bears are very gear dependant. Their threat can be very good. There are times when I am OTing I have to watch my threat too.

Its part of being a good tank. On Patchwerk, if I am not the MT I have to bascially auto attack because Holy Shield does almost 3k threat by itself.
_________________
Discus
Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:44 am
I run with a Druid OT and he does, on occasion, pull threat off me. I don't mind tbh, he's big n tough enough to take it.
Kolbastrasz
Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 am
If you think there is a possibility that he is using Growl in his rotation, you could try running Debuff Filter, and add Growl/Taunt to the list.

I found this helpful once upon a time ago with a newer tank (we were both warriors) who mysteriously pulled aggro, when I was putting out ~1300 TPS, and he medium rage to spend etc.

I've heard stories about very high threat from swipe on multiple mobs, but haven't worked with a Bear in WotLK yet so dunno.
skolor
Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:34 pm
I can only assume he is taunting off of you. If you have JoL up, I can't image them catching you in a regular race.

To put it in perspective: When we first started raiding, the first day in OS I would see if I could pull off our bear on the two mob pulls. He was MT in almost entirely Heroic epics. I was OT in mostly heroic starting gear (22k health, 540 def, not a lot of avoidance). I did two OS runs with the bear with that gear level, and probably pulled off him a handful of times when I tried. He never succeeded(without taunting) when he tried the same. More recently, with me in Heroic Epics, and a warrior tank, I was pulling off of a warrior in t7 gear.

Keep in mind that this is with JoL up, so the situation won't hold true when (if) 3.0.8 ever comes around.
_________________
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
Kelstet
Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm
So I was able to sift through my combat logs and throw the parses up of our first week's attempts, thanks again for all the great advice I'm going to work on my rotation. I picked up the badge shield and threw 20 def on it so I could work in slayer of the lifeless. Continually working on being a better tank. Drops just haven't been kind to me yet in terms of stuff I could really use like shoulders or a new helm but so be it.

- http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/log/371834 - First night we did the first 2 wings.
- http://wowwebstats.com/bbwez1kczhkdq - First Night

- http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/log/371866 - Second night we attempted the last 2 wings.
- http://wowwebstats.com/xjwj4n3vbx4be - Second Night

Which brings me to this week's attempt thus far, different bear tank because my usual OT is off-base doing some training drills with his squad and couldn't make it.

- http://wowwebstats.com/5oltnfdfigbfo - WoW Webstats.
- http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/373054 - WoW Meter

Anything you guys could suggest to pick up my DPS or is where I'm at pretty good for the gear I've got? Keep the tips coming guys.

Kel
_________________
Kelstet

Have Tank will Travel.
Xfighter
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:56 pm
* ooc Seal of Corruption
* Avenger's shield the boss (mobs)
* Holy Shield
* Judge JoL
* HoR
* Consecrate
* SoR rinse wash repeat, judge when needed.

Imo it should be:

OOC Seal of Corruption
Avengers shield
Holy shield
HoR
Judge
SoR
Cons

This way you have more SoR cooldowns that are boosted hits due to your libram proc.

Otherwise, just ask him to back off a bit, and you should be fine.
_________________
15/15 Naxx-10, 7/15 Naxx-25, 1/1 Sarth+1-10, 1/1 Sarth-25, 0/1 Maly-10&25
Mordinm
Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:19 am
If the druid is not tanking then he is most likely in dps gear. A bear in full dps gear is going to out agro you by a good margin. It's kind of like if you slapped on full ret gear with a sword and board and then went out to tank. Of course your threat will be though the roof. Tell him to learn how to play a cat.
Isetnefret
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:39 am
I got MAJORLY bitched out by our MT for stealing aggro on Maexena. It was for a faction of a second.

Threat's not an issue for me.......except that maybe I generate too much when I don't want to. I use the standard 969 rotation.

I used to switch to DPS gear when only 1 tank was needed, but now I just stick with my primary tanking set.

Our MT warrior WAY outgears me, and doesn't have a problem at all with threat, but if I want to, I can beat him, w/o RD.

I stack liberal amounts of STR for the block value it provides, so that probably helps. I'm usually at 3500+ attack power in our 10 man Naxx runs.
_________________