Skip to content
Maintankadin

Stamina Vs Avoidance

Isetnefret
Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 pm
What are the more difficult heroics?
_________________
daemonym
Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:18 pm
the stam or avoidance question is extremely simple.

1. 540 def
2. get to your EH stam wise (enough to take a hateful on patchwerk or breaths on sarth)
3. block cap
4. wtf ever you like the most. (myself, i choose bv)
_________________
Isetnefret
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:14 pm
I've run it several times, got Skadi's belt the first time, finally got my sword last night.

I've not had a problem with fear yet. Biggest problem is getting the DPS to focus on shooting down Skadi so we don't spend 5 minutes just killing the trash harpooners.
_________________
Isetnefret
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:18 pm
Of the heroics I've attempted, the only one that's given me problems is AN, last boss.

I could probably use more health for that, but then again, the whole group needs to focus on avoiding his spikes and killing the venom spitters ASAP.
_________________
Retsucks
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 pm
Some good responses here. I like to see how people prioritize. The point about a more linear damage curve kind of intrigues me. As does the emphasis people are putting on block capping. More input is appreciated as I am trying to compile a decent list of pros and cons.


Edit: trying to get mi sig to work but I'm currently at work at best buy and their computers don't wanna let me do anything lawl.
Arcand
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:57 pm
I don't know if you've ever played a healer - my priestess is level 70 and has been Holy her whole life. She's gotten probably 95% of her experience points healing in instances.

High damage isn't what drives you nuts healing a tank. Spikes are what drive you nuts. Not much happening, not much happening, WHAM suddenly the tank's at 30%.

Just as important as reducing your damage is smoothing it out, making it predictable. Predictability allows the healers to get into a groove and use their mana-efficient stuff instead of their instant-cast emergency stuff.

Crit-proofing and block-capping are the two biggest things you can do to get there. Having a big health pool doesn't directly impact the smoothness of your incoming damage but it gives your healers confidence and time to react, which are almost as important.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Isetnefret
Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:58 pm
Meathook was a pain.

I just replaced my horn-tipped gauntlets from H. Gundrak with the T7 ones. I love that instance because it's quick and easy.

I had problems with the general in Nexus, but the giant guy was easy. Anytime a boss fears you and then beats the living shit out of you, it's rough. The giant's enrage wasn't that bad...

Lokken just needs the right tactics, and more often than not, it's someone else dying because they don't know WTF to do.

I've not tried DTK yet. I was thinking about it tonight.

Occulus is rough from what I've heard, for the reasons you state, not because my health is low.

I'm just trying to think of a heroic that requires 27k unbuffed health as a paladin, and can't...

I appreciate the advice and feedback. I don't want to sound like I know everything. Would I love to have 27k unbuffed? Sure, it would make me a hell of a lot better tank.

To say that is what's required.........sounds a little absurd.

I haven't had many problems, except for AN, as I mentioned. There's always room for improvement, and I will switch my STR gems to def. I am hoping for Skull of Ruin, and will need the extra defense I'll lose if I win it. I will strive to improve. I'm not the best tank out there.

To say that you wouldn't group with me, as I am now...well, that shouldn't be a problem. On my server, there are PLENTY of 25K+ tanks with no avoidance for you to choose from.
_________________
~Healthis~
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 pm
every time i see somone gem parry i die a little inside, i may grp with u for the herioc but wouldnt be able to hold back from telling u whats wrong about your gear.
sfrog
Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:18 am
It is, as always, your 15 a month, and thus your choice into what and how you gem/enchant/choose to stack. If you want to stack STR and not Stam, it's your character, your money.

However most people (and I'm one of them) believe 21k isn't just on the low side for heroics - it's almost suicide. You're putting a lot of unneeded stress on your DPS and Healer; DPS to kill the boss fast enough so your healer doesn't run OOM. Being Block Capped helps, yes. But you will get hit, and 21k does not leave much if any wiggle room for sudden errors or Murphy's Law.

Getting feared and dying while feared, I hate to say it, but a larger health pool would prolly have saved you there.
_________________
Majiben
Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 am
20k was enough for me to run heroics with. People just need to know the trash and fights before entering the instance. If your group doesn't know the fights you have to be ready to tell them what they need to know. And don't be afraid to use CC.

For instance some one said H UP was nasty because of the fears. Well there are many ways to deal with it. You can focus fire them down, use HoJ on them and holy wrath to stun the whole group. That's not to mention you could pull the pack back. Suddenly a hard trash mob is no big deal.
_________________