Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat problems since 3.0.8

Vanifae
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:12 pm
Consecrate helps, but I understand that point, there really is little difference between the DPS rotation and the Tank rotation since all of the main abilities do damage.
_________________
I am fucking awesome.
Thalani
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 pm
I did heroic UK again today with some different DPSers. I think it went better:

http://wowwebstats.com/e5hhoupd54ke3

DPS was actually breaking frost tombs on Prince this time. heh
I started off using Kings, but switched to Sanc later on because I was going OOM a little much and...uh...I didn't have any mage strudel this time. >_>

EDIT: Did a little Naxx 10 earlier and it seemed to go better. For some reason, the combatlog appended my earlier UK heroic, so there's some extra data in there...

http://wowwebstats.com/3pzqf4y5d1cjq

I tanked on Gothik and 4 Horsemen. I was offtank on Anub'Rekhan, primarily focusing on the crypt guard that spawns in the back.

-T.
Arizara
Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:27 pm
consecrate helps when you can, but understand that in heroics, mobs can stun, disarm etc.

are you losing threat on a primary kill target or the 4th on the list that maybe HotR isn't hitting? i lose threat when i group with people that don't know my normal priority and aren't smart enough to assist, but other than that, i have noticed a 1-1.5k tps increase in most dps classes from a month ago... patch+gear most likely. also, some people TRY to pull in 5 mans cause its boring, try BV gear or look at more hit rating.
_________________
Thalani
Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 am
Well guys, I think your feedback's helped.
Looks like it was a combination of things.
The extra threat from judging light seems to have been basically a crutch that let everybody get lazy. I got lazy about my rotation, DPS got lazy about waiting. The first heroic that got me all bummed was probably something of an off night, too.

What I've done differently is this:
1) Swapped some gems around and did trade a little dodge for some strength.
2) Switched up the blessings between Kings and Sanc, and sometimes swapping auras from Devo to Ret.
3) Focused more on my rotation.
4) Practiced setting up the mobs a little better on those 4-pulls in heroic UK. You know the ones I mean - all the mobs spread apart JUST right so that your shield only hits 1, maybe 2 mobs. Ugh.
5) And here's the kicker - worked on getting DPS to actually wait until I've hit all the mobs. Seems like I've had to retrain them all. A couple deaths later for clothies and a Blessing of Protection on a certain Fury Warrior who liked to charge past me seems to have helped straighten people out a bit.

I know I'm not the best tank in the world. I'm somewhat arthritic and have joint problems. I'm not too swift to react sometimes. The Light threat was a crutch, but I just have to push past it.

Thanks for your advice, everybody. I seem to be doing better now.

-T.
Majiben
Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:04 am
good to hear.
_________________
Chantix
Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:36 am
Rather than starting a new thread, maybe I can get some advice/help in this one.

My threat isn't an issue, most of the time. I stay very well above the dps in my groups and raids. The issue I have is keeping up with the offtank threat, specifically on Patchwerk.

Every time I'm designated the MT for patchwerk, a warrior is designated Hateful tank. For the first minute, minute and a half, it goes as planned, at which point I can't keep up with the warrior threat, and roles get reversed. Is it most likely an issue of the warrior having better gear, and therefore better threat generation? Or do warriors just put out generally better threat? I don't have a WWS for any of the patchwerk fights i've recently done, but I can say I'm using a 969 rotation for threat, and this is the only fight I have any problems with.


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nathrezim&n=Chantix
Arcand
Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:49 am
Getting hit by a hateful strike actually awards you some threat. It's a cheat they put in to help the offtank stay ahead of the DPS.

Are you hitting Avenging Wrath? Are you hitting it only when you've got Vengeance/Corruption 5-stacked? Is your rotation as good as you can make it? Is the OT putting Vigilance on you? (He might do this in a sincere but misguided attempt to spare you damage, in a weaselly attempt to make you look bad or any combination of the two.)
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
mavfin
Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:06 pm
Probably a rotation issue. I out-threated a better-geared pally on Patch as a warrior. Whether I just had a better rotation, or his wasn't so good, I don't know. I just know he didn't hold back, and couldn't catch me.

Talk about faceroll all you want, but skill is a factor. I've seen pallies get out-threated, and warriors, too, on the same fight. Same for the other two tank classes.

TL;DR: Check your rotation. Skill counts. One class doesn't automatically outdo another.
_________________
--Mav
zelah
Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:15 pm
imo spam your buttons hard to reduce the ping/lag factors as much as possible. the whole 969 stuff is a joke to be honest. as long as you use shor after getting obstruction buff from your judgement, you can just mash whatever is up. you shouldn't lose aggro to a warrior, i never have

and you could always put salv on them if you really can't keep it up. they're going to be so far ahead of melees so it won't matter
_________________
Majiben
Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:29 pm
If you think 96969 is a joke you're gimping yourself
_________________
Thalani
Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:55 am
Clue 1: My AoE threat and damage was kind of crappy.
Clue 2: I left consecrate out of my normal rotation because it was taking too much mana for too little return.
Clue 3: WoWwebstats showed consecrate ticking for an abysmally small amount the few times I did use it.
Clue 4: Problems began occurring after 3.0.8 which is when my bar mod, Macaroon, went on the fritz and the mod author went MIA.

Hopefully the final resolution on the subject: I had rank 1 consecrate on my bar. Yes, that's right - a relic from pre-WotLK when I used to downrank consecrate to conserve mana in instances like Black Morass on the portals.

It took another tankadin picking apart my combat logs to notice my consecrate problem. I went home last night after he pointed that out and redid all my bars just to be safe. I had planned on deleting my WTF folder and respeccing, reglyphing, resetting everything anyway, but at least for now replacing consecrate with the right version seems to have helped.

Seriously, weird stuff in my UI since 3.0.8. A co-worker said one of his guildies ended up with all rank 1 of his abilities after 3.0.8, so I shouldn't be too surprised that my UI had weird crap popping up in it.

Thanks all. Hoping this takes care of it. Heroic Gun'Drak went smooth last night, but UK is my nemesis. I'll get you, UK, and your 4-pull packs, too!

-T.