Skip to content
Maintankadin

Question for the keybinders

theckhd
Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:07 am
The absolute best thing to do would be to get comfortable enough with the timing and rotation that you don't need to look at your action bars at all. After doing it for long enough, you should be able to 969 in your sleep.

You can see my UI here. All of the 969 buttons are on the second Bartender bar, far away from the viewable portion of my UI. I'm familiar enough with the setup that I can glance down if I need to check on a cooldown, but for the most part I don't have to look anymore.

I also bind most of those to my mouse buttons, as you can see from the screenshot. The two six-second cooldowns are on B4 and B5, while the 9 second cooldowns are Shift+B4, Shift+B5, and button 7 (which is [ in the screenshot). So it forms a pretty reasonable pattern to remember and keep up with.
_________________
Titles should stack. I want to be
Twilight Loremaster Theck, the Exalted Explorer-Diplomat of the Frozen Nightfall
Igrado
Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:18 am
step 1) bind everything
step 2) practice
step 3) practice some more
step 4) ???
step 5) profit!


I use a bar mod (bartender) and when i was learning the 969, i made 1 bar with just two buttons on it, the 2 6's, and a second bar, with only the 9's on it. I set them up just at my characters feet in the middle of the screen. I spaced them out so it looked kinda like this

and that gave me a more central visualization until i got the key binds into my muscle memory and got the rotation ingrained into my subconscious.
_________________
Ohnoto
Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 am
Don't forget to buff yourself with Righteous Fury
thegreedyturtle
Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:38 am
IMO, this is the best macro you can make:

/castsequence reset=6 Hammer of the Righteous,Shield of Righteousness

That will greatly simplify 96 rotation as you only have to keep track of the 9s and hit that macro button for the 6's. Keeping track of which 6 you're on is a real pain since they don't synchronize with the 9s, and you're going to want to control the 9s more, as you'll stop consecrating for mana, keeping holy shield up 100% and judging early for the trinket ect.

Hammer and Shield are just simple threat stuffs. The reset is so that 6 seconds after your last spam of the button it goes back to HotR. That way you'll always start a trash pull with it. If you want to always start with shield, switch the rotation, but maxxing your single target frontload threat by switchin' them is kinda overkill, you'll get to it 3 seconds later anyway! HotR first is good for those body pulls and fury warr who ain't on your target!
Vanifae
Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 am
Yeah I did a Cast Sequence for Hammer and Shield, made my life so much easier.
_________________
I am fucking awesome.
Shoju
Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:39 am
I have never been a clicker. the way my laptop is setup, I have

1 though =

home
pgup
pgdwn
end
ins
del
f12
f11
/
\
[
]
;
'

all hot keyed. I use the mouse to move, and stuff I don't need much is on the non numeric keys, and the 1 though = holds my 'most oft' used abilites.
Discerpo
Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 am
I started using keybinds back in the BWL days and modifing my UI bit by bit til i got where i am now ( at work so ill post a SS later)

I actually use one of those nortormo
http://www.belkin.com/images/product/F8GFPC100/FUL1_F8GFPC100.jpg
and think of it as the left side of my key board but ommited the caps lock

`QWER
[tab]ASDF
[shift]ZXC

The thumb pad is my space bar, the red buton is my insert key, and the D-Pad holds my directional arrows

W/ shift ea button has two functions On my DK they are diff abilities, while on my shaman they were a nice set up for my totems
I use F as Auto run, F as walk backwards, and teh rest of my movement is done w/ my mouse.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/359&cl=US,EN

On that note my mouse has its buttons used to key binds as well. the first thumb is for vent, the other is usually my Oh sh*t button (vanish, IBF, the new sham aoe thing forgot what it was called lol)

The left and right search i use those to straife and they work pretty well.
then i disabled the two magnify buttons to use as well. those wrok very well for mouse over target macros like heals or silence, and also area targeting spells like Death and decay or Blizzard.
I even use the 3rd/ wheel as a bind.

Hope that helps or gives anyone some ideas.
_________________
Meivette UH DeathKnight Tank
Brown Coats
Horde-Gorefiend-PVP
cordelia
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 am
What Igrado suggests is good.

The macro is excellent - I use it. (I map Shift-macro to straight ShoR, in case I just want shield).

I learned the rotation using CooldownTimers. I set up two sets of bars, one set was the 6's, containing HotR and ShoR, and the other set were the 9's, containing HS, Judge, Consec.

You'd always see the 6's @ half/full or empty/half,
and the 9's were always empty/third/two-thirds ...
you get the picture.

It helped if I wanted to swap around the 9's a bit and insert different things. It also helped to re-establish the 6's if I got lost.
_________________
Cordelia, Council Member of Unleashed

TankadinPoints Theory & Breakdown
Discerpo
Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm
I think the best advice is however you have your binds set up put what you need where YOU need it, what works for one person might not work for others. It might waste a day or two but once you find the placement that works for you it will get smoother and smoother.
_________________
Meivette UH DeathKnight Tank
Brown Coats
Horde-Gorefiend-PVP
theothersteve7
Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:05 am
I recommend against the castsequence for the hammer and shield. Shield is the best threat move you have against one mob, hammer is the best threat move you have against three (about even with the shield throw). Ideally you should be able to choose between one or the other when starting a pull, the macro makes that impossible to eventually learn.

EDIT: OH! Important addon. Get "Cooldowns" at http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/cooldowns.aspx

Enormous help to me; not only makes 969 easier but allows me to weave in other spells more cleanly. Also tells me when my hearth will be up and stuff; generally handy.
_________________
Jhodas
Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 am
Hi there. My first post, and technically I'm not a fully fledged maintankadin yet (only lvl31 Smile but bear with me. I use macros to put up to 3 skills on the same button. anything more than that and I find myself getting confused. I do like the thought if 56 skills on 8 buttons though...

'`' (that weird one next to the 1): Both taunts: RD on Alt
1 : attack (should move this really)
2: Judgements: Light unmodded, Wisdom alt, Justice Shift
3: Consecration, excorsism alt,
4: HoJ, Arcane torrent alt (I'm belf)

F1: Holy light with a mouseover macro for grid, since i have healed more than once (yes, as prot)
F2: Flash of light, as above
F3: Purify, as above. This one I use a lot even when I'm tanking.

Thats about it. All my panic buttons (LoH, DP etc) are clicks so I don't set them off accidentally.

One thing I will say (one for the UI thread really I think) is that I keep all my buffs and misc stuff on faded bars using BT4, which frees up an awful lot of Screen space.
FlukemDukem
Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:06 pm
i think im one of the rare cases that uses the d-pad to move with the numpad as my main platform. heres a hell of a cluster ....
\ = Bubbles (mod:ctrl)
Insert = Torrent
Home = hammer of justice
Page Up = Righteous Defense
mod: ctrl = seals mod: shift = undead abilities like Exorcism and Holy Wrath (which now im gonna have to find a new home for Exorcism)
Delete = Nearest Target
End = Target self
Page Down = Hand of Reckoning
D-Pad:
1 = Judgement of Light
2 = Shield of Righteousness
3 = Holy Shield
4 = Hammer of the Righteous
5 = Consecrate
6 = Sacred Shield
7 = Avenger Shield
8 = Divine Plea
9, /, *, - are all healing abilities

F9 F10 F11 F12 = Auras
I have every ability a pally can use including buffs keybound somewhere...
_________________
The All-arouladin