Skip to content
Maintankadin

Patchwerk, 7k sustained thread and me.

Amaranthea
Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 pm
I am getting closer to my goal of DPS > DTPS on Patchwerk Smile

http://wowwebstats.com/4j1spmy66miog?s=189155-221438&a=x7d94c8#abilities

DPS: 3923
DTPS: 4164
Kill time: 2:48

Gear: Full tanking gear with str or str/stam gems and a DMC:G (second trinket was Repelling Charge). Uncrittable (no defense buffs) and block capped (I let one unblocked through either through slow rotation or holy shield just getting knocked off.)
Disclaimer: Cheating with tricks of the trade, which is probably worth 100 dps. Used 50 str / 800 ac elixirs and 40 str food. Took DPS talents including the epic failure that is reckoning. One Avenging Wrath. I also won the crit RNG on ShoR with 35%, although HotR failed at 16%.



@OP:

First of all, did you have full raid buffs (including a Draenei in your group for the hit)? Missing any buffs is huge, and was assumed when I said you "should" do 7k+TPS on Patchwerk.

I also assumed that your raid would have comparable gear (as in, mostly 25man) so you'd have reasonably fast kill times. It was already mentioned that faster kill = increased uptime on AW / Heroism / trinket activations (if you're using one).

As for your WWS in particular: Your kill time was 3:38, 50 seconds longer than mine of 2:48. However, let's compare primary ability usage:

ShoR: You had 28 ShoRs, I had 26.
HotR: You had 28 HotRs, I had 25.

In an extra 50 seconds you should get ~8 more of each. It could be lag, or just not mashing the buttons as soon as they come off cooldown (assuming you're running 969), but I'm definitely getting more actions per minute than you are.

It also looks like you're weaving a non-glyphed AS into your rotation, which isn't generally a good idea, although you did get lucky and it crit 3 of 4 times.

Of course my damage per ability is much higher but that's because of the strength gems and DMC:G combined with the aforementioned tricks of the trade cheating and avenging wrath use. Strength >> BV for dps.

The main thing I'd work on is tightening your rotation up. In simple terms, and sacrificing a bit of time ( 8 seconds) to allow for Patchwerk to get to you and for your rotation to get going, we have:

For me:

2:40 worth of time to run a rotation, allowing for 160/6 = 26.7 ShoR and HotR casts. I had 26 ShoRs and 25 HotRs. A bit of time lost to lag / slow button mashing, but that's pretty much unavoidable.

For you:

In 3:30 you can use ShoR and HotR 35 times each in a "perfect" environment with no lag. If you go from your use of 28 of each to 35 of each, that's 25% more casts of your two primary threat abilities (and I assume, also all the other abilities in your rotation). That alone is enough to push you well over 7k.
Meloree
Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:29 am
If I didn't have to figure out some way to beat Adanel next week, I'd see what I could do in 5/60/6 with full threat gear to baseline it. I have to assume, though, that it's at least a 10% dps loss, losing 7% crit, Reckoning, and Crusade, even picking SotP back up, so it'd be tough to get much higher than 3.5-3.6k dps.

For DPS in said block value set, using my latest WWS, losing 7% crit amounts to roughly 24k damage lost, SotP gains 12k damage. Losing 12k damage over 147 seconds is 81 dps.

Another ~22k damage lost from Reckoning is 150 dps.

6% damage from Crusade is 245 dps lost.

That's just back of the envelope math, but I think you'ld really have to work to clear 3600 in 5/60/6.

WWS for reference: http://wowwebstats.com/1po4o26a3erzm?s=179103-205313&a=xbf19f6

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Majiben
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:10 am
Haste does not affect HotR or any other instant.
_________________
Majiben
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:30 am
Yeah I investigated this a while ago at 70 when I wasn't getting hits as large as I expected when the new windfury totem was being dropped. It also dips from 1HS once so make sure not to apply it twice.
_________________
Varmin
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 am
Eh, using the TPS sheet by Jonesy I only find ~5-15 TPS larger increase over SoV with factoring in BL uptime (even with myself using a Broken Promise). Seems like I was just beating a dead horse.

In another note:
Though I simply just averaged bloodlust and added it to melee haste, it seems like it's overall a very small increase in threat for a paladin (not considering the possibility of adding in an extra ability during bloodlust time).