Dazarol wrote:...If I'm reading your responses correctly, let me make sure I've got this straight...
5. Assuming all this went according to plan...
That's pretty much the key here...how does that famous quote go about the "best-laid plans?" Something about how they all turn to shit once all the shooting starts lol. Anyway, from my own personal experience, the biggest key to success is knowing what your abilities do and being comfortable with them. Tanking in general can often be very fluid, especially depending on what the 4, 9, or 24 other people are doing at the same time you're trying to do your job. Tankadins have quite a number of tools at our disposal to handle the various situations we're presented with when doing our job, so like I said, just make sure you're comfortable with them - even if that means just smacking a target dummy a few times to get comfortable mashing your buttons.
In my experience, knowing and being comfortable with these various abilities we have winds up being "easier" than having a set of "if x, then y" checklists to go through. The former allows you to readily adapt to whatever is thrown your way, as it is thrown your way, and requires less "mental bandwidth" to execute over the long run. The latter may give you a few "go-to" moves, but RNG and group dynamics can easily skew your plan of what to do next if it doesn't fit in nicely with what you had planned. I guess a good analogy would be like playing chess - sure there's a number of good famous "openers" and whatnot, but once you're in the thick of things you can't just rely on rote memorization. As long as you keep a few key things (generalizations?) in mind, and are able to adapt/think on your feet within reason, you should be able to adequately deal with whatever curve-balls are thrown your way.
To reiterate what others have already mentioned...
-HotR for short-range aoe threat
-AS is great for pulling/positioning casters as well as multi-target threat (when unglyphed), and also for keeping censure stacks up on targets
-Judgement is great for initial ranged threat, or keeping censure stacks up on targets, and also keeps the blue rage bar full...or at least not empty.
-HW for situational AOE stuns (if glyphed and the mobs are of the right type), or just initial AOE-"hi, I'm over here"-aggro
-And the list could easily go on, but that's just more specifically tailored to your question about pulls, adds, and AOE/multi-target tanking. Get comfortable enough with it and pretty soon you won't even be using CC on trash pulls.
Dazarol wrote:So, once I do my initial threat-building stuff, DO I have time to tab through targets while watching Omen, or should I just focus on DPS and continuing to build/maintain threat?
HotR and GC procs for multiple AS "frisbees" are a godsend for our AOE threat (so much so that I often don't even bother with consecrate anymore unless I just want to really pad my dps numbers, and don't even bother with HW unless the mobs I'm fighting can be stunned by it), so once you "establish" your threat and start building vengeance stacks it's really all up to you - i.e. you shouldn't need to be all that concerned with secondary target aggro if you're running with even marginally competent dps who target your target and/or follow kill orders. It never hurts to make sure your threat is secure on the mobs you're tanking though, so long as your primary target threat is solid (I'd say a minimum of 10% threat lead, preferably closer to 15-20%), feel free to "tab-target" or whatever. If you find you're having trouble with AOE/multi-target threat, and the issue isn't that the dps just massively out-gear you and they
are actually following kill orders and such, make sure that you are in fact using HotR every 3 seconds (and in conjunction with inquisition whenever possible), nearly regardless of whatever else is going on. If you're not doing that now, give it a shot and see what happens to your AOE threat and dps - I'd imagine you'd be pleasantly surprised.