Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat on Mage sheep

WATERBOYsh
Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:44 am
My main is a mage that I've been playing for almost 2 years since I started playing WoW and I ran him through heroic MgT for the first time last night. In the room leading into the third room I had the same thing happen to me... warrior tank was standing behind the wall off to the left, and I was standing where I could see down the hallway, but far enough back so that the mob would be sheeped in the hallway instead of where the tank. As soon as I sheeped all the mobs turned to me... casters started casting, melee started whacking... I was dead in about half a second.... I didn't have time to ice block (I have very fast ice block reactions... I have bubble in the same spot) or run to the tank...

Had problems with this pulling the third boss too... I needed to sheep the MS warrior... our tank would run up and shoot the priestest, and then I would sheep, but they would all turn to me and kill me as well. If I waited, the MS warrior would charge our tank and he would lose aggro and the mobs run amuck everywhere....

I play my mage very effectively. I think something either changed with how LoS is handled in 2.4 or its these particular mobs. I haven't played my mage much in the last month or two, so not sure if this happens anywhere else now.
_________________
Kelaan
Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:57 am
Interesting. I noticed also that some walls in MgT (er, MrT? Smile ) behave strangely with LOS. Mobs would still cast through the wall and hit me. My solution was to keep running even farther back (e.g., towards the hallway where the first big constructs were, if clearing the next courtyard), so that all the casters would keep running towards me ... and then once they were semi close together, I'd run back to them. Those first walls (near the courtyard) with the cutouts did NOT seem to block LOS, though the ones near the hallway did seem to.

A consecrate in the path of the mobs also seemed to help a little bit... but I think there may be merit in seeing if they have changed how LOS-ing is handled.
WATERBOYsh
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 pm
I just got out of MH on my mage and I was in charge of sheeping one of the casters in the waves of trash when they came. I was watching Omen and it was reporting my threat increasing by 1 each time I sheeped. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but that is what Omen reported.
_________________
Lorath
Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:50 am
I tell people to never walk infront of me. Ever. No discussion Smile
Frisbee First. Hey that should be in my sig...

Even the most dimwitted of puggged up tools usually get the point after a few deaths.

Basically learned this the hard way from having a semi-blind raid leader (healer) always running infront of tanks and 'accidently' bodypull so many times it's not funny.
_________________
Lorath, Human 70 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.thefallenorder.com
Mastus
Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:10 am
Normally I run MgT on my pally and tank but I did bring my mage in there for his heroic attunement and had this same thing happen to me. Ran with a group that I play with all the time and trust their competence level. Warrior gun pulled and then ran around the wall to LoS them. While the mobs were closing the gap to our warrior I sheeped my target and had the entire pack turn to me and drop me. It happened several times after that but I learned to sheep and immediately blink away and LoS them myself while the warrior picked them up.

I really do believe something was changed in 2.4 because the mechanics of the pull/sheep haven't changed, but the mobs are behaving differently now, unless its just MgT...
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderlord&n=Mastus
Snake-Aes
Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 am
I'm fairly sure it doesn't share the other mobs' sight on Global threat(healing, mostly), making them really a "brand-new" mob after sheep is broken(they only keep threat they previously had)

If you're generating threat on the sheep you're breaking the sheep, silly =D
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Wyleai
Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 am
Yeah, that's what I thought. And its part of why I've often broken sheep on purpose in the past.

The last thing I want is a fresh with no established threat mob 3/4ths in the fight when my Mana is on the 'potions / Seal of Wisdom' cycle (and even worse if I have a priest that insists on shield bubbling me rather than heal-spamming me).

That's a mob that can go anywhere. I rarely fail to grab it, but why risk it if I can handle it from the outset.

I tell them, only CC the mobs that refuse my pull (because I could not LoS, or LoS was not an option given the staging, or some other failing), after the pull. But as of level 57, it amazes me how many players have no clue how to work with a tankadin, even other pallys, even other prot-pallys.
_________________

Snake-Aes
Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 am
It's part of the reason Avenger's Shield has a daze effect. Allows perfect sheeping AFTER the shield hits. <3 my Shield
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
cordelia
Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm
Body Aggro is stronger than Leash Aggro

Your AS stacks aggro on 3 mobs max, that means 2-3 mobs have no aggro for you except for the aggro generated from "leashing." If they come near another target before they come near you, the body aggro from the second target will grab them, and they will pwn that target.

Something I tend to do is cast a Consecrate before I LoS, so they're guaranteed to run into it. I tell my CC'ers to cc before the consecrate, and get behind the consecrate, and me.
_________________