Skip to content
Maintankadin

Marking - what's it all mean? (what icons for what?)

Snake-Aes
Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 am
Markings are just that...marks. You assign them and tell the players "it means that." Makes the mob easier to see and coordinate.
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Malecandra
Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 am
On progression bosses, our Main Tank is the Skull and I'm the X (he usually dies first) Smile

Edit: Noticed what I typed. I mean the actual player gets marked - not the mob. We're basically voting on which one of us dies first.
Questioner
Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 am
Nobody ever noticed they match up with the class colors? That's how my brain starts with CC marks, it of course doesn't always work.

Circle (Orange) - Druid
Square(Blue) - Mage
Triangle(Green) - Hunter
Moon(White) - Priest
Diamond(Purple) - Warlock
_________________
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
sapientialb
Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:17 am
I seem to get all garbly with the scripting type things so I just assigned them all to hot keys bound on Alt 1-8 and regularly pop my macro for kill order and CC marks just so ppl dont forget (and honestly I dont forget lol)
_________________


"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
Kitria
Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:22 am
Skull seems to be the universal "kill first"

Depending on the group, locale being demolished, and which toon I'm on:
X = kill second or sap
Circle = Sheep
Star = Sheep
Diamond = Fear/Banish
Triangle = Fear/Banish/Shackle
Moon = Shackle/MC
Square = Trap
_________________
Vandershield
Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 am
Instead of a macro like this:
/p Kill order is: Skull / X / Orange / Triangle ... moon is sheep..square is trap

Try this one:
/p Kill order is: {skull} -> {cross} -> {circle} -> {triangle} {moon} is sheep {square} is trap

The latest patch allows you to put the raid icons directly in your chat messages.
Khayne
Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:32 am
My personal way of marking is putting a:
"Marks for kill order are skull, cross, square."
which i follow up by saying CC´s once i want them so if i want a sheep on first pull, i´ll also say "star is sheep". If i want it on 5th pull, is say it there so the pug can´t forget it before.
On those i use the drop down order (so star first).

makes my kill order allways stay same so those i ran before know them allready, and since in 5mens the CC type changes depending on if i got mages, hunters, rogues, locks or spriests i just put the first CC i use as star, 2nd as 2nd mark in drop down.

makes people allways know what are dps targets and what is a CC since star allways means CC.

in raids they differ on what we´re doing (say, on HKM there´s 5 marks allready for mobs and 3 for tanks).

wtb new icons to mark myself though.
Bunny or something would be cool.
_________________
Sithy
Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:41 am
We generally use:

Skull = Kill
Star = Second kill
Nipple (Circle) = Third kill
Diamond = Banish
Triangle = CC
Moon = Sheep
Square = CC
Cross = Ignore, pat, last kill.

As someone said, you just call out what to do with the marks on that pack and thats what happens. As long as folks pay attention its all good.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Aeverius
Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:13 am
I like to mark everything, especially if I have a lot of single target DPS. I want my single target DPS focus firing one target at a time, or things get inefficient. That being said, I generally use skull-x-star-circle for the first four kills. Anything left after that is probably almost dead due to standing in Consecrate and getting hit with AoE anyway. One of my quadrillion UI mods brings up all the marking icons in my target box, so I just tab, click the icon I want, tab again, etc. It's also good for when extra mobs show up accidentally- I can grab them up and mark them in a hurry. Nothing calms a group down during that kind of chaos like seeing a skull pop up and going "Oh, hey, I need to kill skull now."

I also use non-used icons (triangle is usually the first non-assigned icon) to mark pats so that I can track their movement, since you can see marks through walls very nicely. This also helps for things like "Okay, square shouldn't come on this pull, but if he does, kill him last" or whatever.
_________________


"Incoming!" is the new ready check.
Arcand
Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:53 am
The ASCCCI (Azerothian Standard Code for Crowd-Control Indication) is...

Skull = kill target, because a skull is a near-universal symbol for death (follow the skull)

X = second kill target because X-ing something out means getting rid of it

Moon = polymorph because Hecate was a goddess of magic and associated with the moon

Square = ice trap because a blue square looks like an ice cube

Circle = sap because 'sap the circle' is alliterative

Star = shackle or turn because stars = light

Triangle = hibernate because nature is green

Diamond = banish or MC because warlocks wear purple

Kind of cool how much consensus there is on most of these.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 4/6 ZA
Healing can be variable. DPS can be variable. My job is to be a constant.
Dazhbog
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:53 pm
Everything but skull means consecrate! And you'll be consecrating skull as well...

Tanking Targets
Skull - Main target, dies first (usually my target)
Star - Secondary target, usually my main OT
Circle - Tertiary target, usually my second OT
Thong, diamond - AE tank targets, I'm thong if I'm NOT skull

CC Targets
X, Moon - Sheep targets
Cross - Sophie's target (sheep)
Moon - Dae's target (shackle, banish, fear, enslave)
Circle - Sap target
Square - Hunter trap target

Assist Targets
Square - Assist target when skull is unavailable (i.e. in use by boss mods)
_________________
Sockpuppet
Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:51 pm
I don't mark in 25mans but in kara/heroics I just mark skull as kill target and then I let the DPS go wild on all the other mobs because by then I have all the threat I need on all the adds to make them stay with me.
_________________