Skip to content
Maintankadin

How best to deal with single target threat generation

Gront
Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:00 am
Understood. Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to keep my temper in check better. I definitely don't want it to happen if I actually land a tanking job elsewhere.

This is what I've come to understand.

So to keep me from going oom on such fights, I switch out some mitigation for more spell damage. Get my hands on consumable buffs too.

Ensure that SoR and JoC is used for the first half of the fight, then switch to JoW and probably keep SoC later on. However, should I judge righteousness occasionally or just refresh the seal without judging it first ?

I also should use Avenger's not as just a pulling tool, but as a reliable way to pull ahead of the pack. You were right on the money there, don't like taking full damage while casting, so I didn't use it as such.

I switched out my talent build and gear for some ret PVP action over the weekend. So my armory might not be accurate at this time. My guy is geared and specced for prot again.
Sweeney
Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:52 pm
One really good way to get adjusted to "tight" mana management is to carry around a stack of cheap mana pots. When I was learning Kara I would go through at least half a stack of the mana potions you can buy with honor per night. It lets you stick with your rotation while making a slight correction to not go OOM.

I typically would pop these any time I was below half mana and didn't yet have a threat lead, when in past I'd been squeezing in JoWis instead.
_________________
Sweeney: 70 Paladin, Runetotem
s4dfish
Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm
I tanked BM for the first time a couple days ago. My group was nothing special and I'm slightly worse geared than the OP. I simply wore full tanking gear and tanked everything, adds included. As soon as I dropped combat I sat and drank to get my mana up. I judged Wisdom and ran with SoR, I kept BoK on myself. On bosses I used mana pots as needed. Just my 2 copper...
_________________
http://worldofs4dfish.blogspot.com
Autoblock
Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 am
Just as a side note, I looked at the priest's spec, and it's kinda weird. I haven't played my priest in about 3 months or so, but even so. 4/5 in silent resolve? I think 4% threat reduction isn't something to laugh at.

Also I don't see the value in mental agility (reduce mana cost of insta-casts by 10%) You might as well just spend 2 talent points in healing prayers which reduces the cost of prayer of mending (a priest's bread and butter instant) and prayer of healing by 20%. 5 talent points for a miniscule amount of mana off from your dispels and such is really not worth it. With his gear set I don't think imp Divine Spirit is a good choice either... Just my two cents about the priest, and yes I know he wasn't the problem.

Anyway as a hunter, it's always fun to try and see how much threat you can produce. I always had fun FD'ing and then seeing how fast I could climb the meter, but you should always be aware of when you're about to draw aggro. When you play a class long enough you just get a feel for when you should FD or whatever aggro dump you have. Personally I never really look at the threat meters in raids. If you see a long string of crits or such then yes, you FD. You have to have a feel for your class.

As for yourself losing your temper, I do it all the time. That's why I'm poor. I keep getting fed up and respecing to ret and then back to prot Confused

Looking at the hunter's gear, he needs to gem and enchant differently. He seems to be stacking AP when his crit rate isn't that high. My suggestion to him would be to stack agi. For hunters agi will almost always be better than straight AP. 1 point of agi is worth 1 Ap and some crit (sorry, i forget off the top of my head). Also agi scales with kings, unlike AP. Also his enchants are stamina a lot and savagery on his weapon. Again he should be going for Agi, or at least AP, but not stam. His spec is ok. There's a few iffy choices though. Spirit bond is a weak pve talent (2% health regen every 10 seconds), as is the point in thick hide. If he's worried about mend pet (he put one point in there) he could easily put a point from spirit bond in there and put the other one and the one from thick hide into endurance training (2% extra health for him and 4% for his pet)

*EDIT*
Also the hunter should not be using that bow. It's too fast for a good rotation BM spec. Optimal speed is a 2.8 bow such as Valanos' Longbow. There's an abundance of them on most servers, so they're not hard to get. He could put a hit or crit scope on it, optimally hit. Definitely not a +dmg scope though. It's arguably the best bow you can get before steelhawk and then wolfslayer's in Kara. With the 2.8 speed bow he should be able to get a 3:2 rotation in which will do more damage than a 1:1.

Sorry for all the hunter-crafting and such... Once a hunter, always a hunter.
kalbear
Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 am
Just to add in the fun times, SoR and JoR are typically about 35-40% of total threat done depending on your spelldamage and gear level - and at your level, they're fairly high. That was the real problem.

Paladins aren't as good as warriors or druids for single-target threat - but that doesn't mean they should be taken over by a hunter.
tofino
Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:22 am
If a hunter pulls aggro and dies, it's the hunter's fault, not your fault.

Between a threat meter and FEIGN DEATH ON A 30 SECOND TIMER, a hunter dying to pulling aggro should receive mockery.

Though this thread IS great Smile.
_________________
Tofi, 70 BE Paladin, Whisperwind
Robin de tolens
Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 pm
*Happy not to have to worry about SoV*

I look forward to testing Seal of Masochism (tm) =P
_________________

Aloette
Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:51 pm
also, another thing that I see a lot of people do is wait too long to use a mana pot. mana pots should be used before you run into mana issues, not when you realize 'oh ****, i dont have enough mana to get through this fight'.

if you're not afraid of using mana pots, good for you, you're already going the extra mile that a large chunk of players don't bother to do (gold/effort).

you want to use your mana potion as early as possible so that the cooldown is available incase you need to use a second one in the same fight.

if you're in a 5 minute fight and you wait 3.5 minutes until you get into mana trouble, you won't get a second chance to use another potion. if you go all out for the first 45-60s spamming max rank skills every cooldown and pop a potion, you'll be good to use another potion at the ~3 minute mark.