Skip to content
Maintankadin

Doing BGs for honor while leveling

Shathus
Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Doing BGs for honor while leveling

I've got some downtime between questing and instancing at times because I can't get too far ahead of my fiance's Priest (the nerve of her not wanting to play every night!)

Anyways, figured I could do some BGs to start saving up honor for 70. My question is, especially pre-70, what is best to do in BGs, throw on some healing gear (currently about +550) and just sit in the back, or stay in my prot gear and hope I can just let people wail on me til the rest of the DPS come in? I could throw on some Ret gear, but I dont have much.
_________________

Cyrrix
Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Honestly if yoru not 70 BG what you like. the honor won't much matter from what I hear.
_________________
Cyrrix lvl 14 and rising Pally on Dunemaul
caboom
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:30 am
I tried afking in AV but beeing a PVPer at heart("if it's red it's dead! Very Happy") i just couldn't, instead found out our best deal is to do what u do best, get the highest avoidance set togheter, to dodge the rogues and nasty warrior that seem to fill BGs these days, make sure u got cleanse on an easy button and go defend. I've single handely managed to protect one of the towers at Drek one day against 3 s2/s3 geared warriors + rogue and it made the difference for my team to win, also when ur defending make sure to put urself on the path where it's expected enemies will come(just before the 2 towers in the south at Drek, on the bridge before vanadar and the 2 bunkers in the north), preferably in a tight spot where u can consacrate if need be(in case u spot a rogue passing by) have some dps behind u and w8, when a guy mounted comes HoJ him and the dps will take care of him fast enough(notice most dismount witch is a very bad thing to do anyhow, and the hoj will keep them in place for a rogue to come and start a stunlock Very Happy)

Also in AVs u can tank, i usually go in 1st at balinda, judge light and HoJ her, when i notice the other ppl running inside, so u gain some bit of threat on her this way and makes the other ppl coming easier to just start nuking right away, the hoj will make sure u survive till they come in and start nuking.

About the Vannadar/Drek messes altho it doesn't look like it u can tank them, just start 1st if possible, if not taunt him off the ppl he's chasing and HS and tank him, if he hits too hard just bubble before the taunt, 2 seconds of taunt means he doesn't 1 shot a clother, witch are usually trigger happy ones here.

In the smaller BGs either defend, or go in attack, best trick here to do is pretend to heal, then everyone else will focus on u(they think ur the healer) and they'll have a bang noticing u don't die XD, whilist ur ppl are nuking them dead. Make use of ur HoJ whenever u can, and use SoJ/JoJ always, when not tanking a NPC.

In AB for exemple besides beeing in front line u can go to the furthest base where they respawn(Stables or Farm) and either cap it or not(doesn't matter but if they let u, cap it) and the thing u do here is stay alive, use every couldown u can and just maintain HS if heavy melees attack u, bubble and heal when u can, this will keep usually a fatal number of enemies for up to 3 minutes(but even if u survive 30 secs it's enough) chasing you and not ur ppl that are busy capping their bases(yes ppl are that stupid to chase u around for minutes at an end Very Happy).

In WSG and EoTS either defend or go for flag, ur by far the most toughest guy in a BG team usually so u can take the hits if necesarry and still survive to take in the flag.

Against melees in BGs remeber it's paramount that u try to face them at all times(move backwards if they run around u like rogues usually do) so u can make use of ur dodge/parry/HS charges.

U can HoJ the guy that's chasing you to keep em of u for a while when ur carrying the flag, and u can do it w/o facing him and on the run and it works miracles.
_________________
Barathorn
Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:13 am
When I say AFK Valley, I should point out I don't actually afk while in there, I prefer to play Smile

Barathorn
_________________


'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.

http://armorylite.com/eu/Aerie+Peak/Barathorn
Grokii
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 am
I enjoy spam casting Holy Light Rank 1 until I get attacked. I can usually take a fairly good beating, but if I get assist trained, then I bubble. They usually waste precious seconds getting another target.

Great fun.

Of course, if they don't pick up on you, start tossing out max rank Holy Light and really help heal. If they won't attack you, your DPS won't mean squat as protection spec. All you can do is heal and stun.
Shathus
Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 pm
Tried out in a couple BGs last night. Granted me ret gear sucks, but that seemed like a waste of time. I didn't try going in my tanking gear, mostly cause it seemed there were never any healers. In the last AB we did. i'm pretty sure I was the only one (or the others just sucked cause the 'amount healed' stat was real low. Was just concerned with using tank gear in like AV since everyone else was 70 and i was concerned about just missing a lot/greatly being outgeared.

I'll have to give tanking a try in AB though. Of course the last one I did was also ridiculous. Alliance had 4 locks, 6 priests (not sure how many shadow) and 5 hunters. Nothing like getting zerged, having 7 shadow dots on you and 4 pets charging in. I suck at PVP normally, but I didnt know wtf the do there. at least my consecration killed the snake traps Very Happy
_________________

redlenses
Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 pm
WSG - Run the flag or support the flag, in the 60s BGs I often capped all 3 flags with little support. Blessing of Freedom helps a lot. I often bubble when entering the flag room, the rogues expose themselves and don't get to sap/stun you, when the bubble wears out you are in front of the flag ready to go.

AB - Get to a node and defend it. You are a better defender than capturer as a tank. Rank 1 consecrate to expose rogues.

EOTS - Either be a flag runner/supporter, or defend a node.

AV - Crusader Aura is king, go with the fast groups to help cap RH or kill Galv.

Use your frisbee, use your stun, use Judgement of Justice to slow down enemy flag runners, if you have the Goblin Rocket Launcher - let it loose, use your bubbles.
Naeldon
Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 am
It is necessary as a tank to grind honour? I know about that maul and stuff, but the thought of spending so much time in the BGs makes me ill. It's not so much the Player vs Player, it's more the loltards on the Ally side that annoy me.
jere
Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:28 am
It took me around 30 Botanica runs to get my stupid shoulders from him. I feel your pain.
_________________