Skip to content
Maintankadin

Righteous Defense for Beginners?

radioactivejack
Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:32 am

Righteous Defense for Beginners?

I have been having some trouble recently trying to use righteous defense. Example:

I am lower level (52) tanking BRD. I am being attacked by 5 mobs and kinda not paying attention, forgot to consecrate or HS. Healer aggros the 2 mobs that I didnt get a threat lead on with frizbee, and I am obviously still targetting the primary target.

Now I know that I can just click the healer's name in party menu and click RD, but sometimes in a clutch I forget the easy stuff. I am still getting used to tanking and do alot of solo AoE grinding and not much lower level instances.

Is there a one-click macro or some trick that I can use to target the player (healer in this case) who is getting attacked and throw RD, or do I just need better reactions and more experience? What about just general tips and tricks for taunting?
- Noob Tank FTL
_________________
I am like Jesus... I can turn a dollar bill in to a taco.
Whimsy
Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:15 am
Kudos for agreeing that tanking is not for the lazy. And kudos for your commitment to improve.

I use this macro. Not out of laziness, but out of efficiency. It allows me to RD any party member without changing targets. Simply hover your mouse over the party member's healthbar and click. (I have this bound to an extra mouse button on my G15 mouse).

/cast (target=mouseover) Righteous Defense

Not only does it speed up the process of casting RD, it also avoids the risk of somebody using an "assist" macro and targeting the mob about to be RD'd.

For example, this macro can help avoid the following scenario: sheep breaks, mob aggros on Squishy the Priest, tank targets mob and hits RD, Sleepy The Nooblock (assuming that tank has targeted the next mob for focus fire) hits his assist macro and DOTs the mob just before it's resheeped.
radioactivejack
Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 am
Now that I have started to really think about tanking, I am thinking that Maybe some new hardware (ie. 5 button mouse) and modifying my UI to show any mobs targetting players would be really quite helpful.
_________________
I am like Jesus... I can turn a dollar bill in to a taco.
Kelaan
Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:08 am
I believe Grid will show when people get aggro, but it might only be from bosses. Not sure.
Wyleai
Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:32 pm
Improved hardware won't make up for being slow on the trigger and not paying attention. You should be taking those low level instances seriously - its how you're going to learn the right physical-memory for the harder content.

And frankly, most of the BC 5-mans are easier than the Old world instances... BC instances are too linear.

But...

As for addons to improve tanking on a paladin:

At a minimum you should have:

Omen
Tankadin
Decursive
PallyPower
Healbot

Even as a tank, you'll have to toss out decurses and heals and buffs now and then. That's why you want the last 3 I listed. They'll let you do those things without needing to pay attention to that. PallyPower is for the blessings (a paladin without pallypower is not worth inviting), Decursive will take control of your Cleanse/Purify, and Healbot will handle all your healing spells as well as let you bind bandages, buffs, blessing of protection, and other effects to the bars.

Tankadin is useful for studying gear choices - but is not needed during play. You might not need Healbot, but I recommend it anyway - if nothing else its color changing bars are handy visual reminders.

Omen, well, if you're tanking without Omen... you need to reconsider whether or not you want to be a tank. At a minimum you need it there for the others in your group to be able to get Omen and gauge their threat against you. Without the tank having Omen, the DPS and healers are 'shooting in the dark.' As a tank, this will let you know not just when the others have aggro, but how close to getting aggro they are.

You do -NOT- need a damage meter addon. Nobody does, but the tank especially does not need to be misdirecting their attention by paying heed to their DPS. That said, I keep recount around on my machine set to 'Damage Taken' - If anyone else in the group has a value above zero, I consider what I might be doing wrong (baring situation where the critter hits the entire party with a blast of something).
_________________

moduspwnens
Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:26 am
It basically has a little window that shows your avoidance against level 73 mobs. It also has a RF reminder and AD tracker, both of which can be turned off if you choose. There are two plugins currently available; one to track Sunwell Radiance and another to watch TPS. The developer is a "regular" of this site.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=8358

The FAQ is there.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
radioactivejack
Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:58 am
Wow. I am very impressed with that Tankadin mod. I will be getting it as soon as I get home tonight. Very Happy
_________________
I am like Jesus... I can turn a dollar bill in to a taco.
Thorgramn
Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:08 am

Addons

My preference is for Grid + Clique for healing, decursing, and Aggro check/taunting. I also use ZOMGBuffs! currently. I used pally power for a long time, the main reason i switched was just to try and haven't found a reason to switch back.