Skip to content
Maintankadin

Levelling as a Tankadin - Gear, Dungeons, Professions?

mickytk
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Levelling as a Tankadin - Gear, Dungeons, Professions?

Starting out with two tankadins, one on each side of the fence (Draenei, Blood Elf) currently in the 20-30 bracket, I find myself wondering if there's anything out there i should try to do on my way up the levels, any particular gear i should try to get, any particular dungeons i should try to run, what profession to use, etc.

I just wondered if anyone has any advice about the journey to the end game. I'm not talking about powerlevelling or anything - this is about learning the way of the tankadin from the very start of the game.

So...


-What dungeons in particular would be good fun or a good experience to try and tank?

-Is there any bit of gear anywhere that would be of special use to a levelling tankadin?

-Should a tankadin even bother trying to run battlegrounds like WSG or AB at these levels?

-What would you say some good professions for this phase of the game would be?
_________________
=== Newbie tankadin with one on each side of the fence ===
Guillex
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:13 pm
Took me a little bit to dredge it up, but here's Barathorn's work in progress...

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=9369&highlight=

As for professions, get mining and skinning as moneymakers for while you're leveling.

After that, it's your call, really.



Stay away from Mara... Really. And Uldaman ... But Mara's a big no no.
_________________
Official thread killer

Naeldon
Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Re: Levelling as a Tankadin - Gear, Dungeons, Professions?

Regarding the battlegrounds, I'm trying to get the honour for the maul thingy. I figure if I get 800H per level then I should be able to have enough by level 70. This isn't including the handing in of marks either. All I do is heal and try and keep people busy. I couldn't kill a fly, but I am a complete bastard to kill myself so as a flag runner or flag support I am useful. In AB just defend the nodes and if anyone is trying to assault one while someone is fighting you, drop consecrate.

Just have fun. There's no real right way to go about it pre-70 I don't think. I do mining and blacksmithing and enjoy it. I am after the Scarlet set and a new shield.
Ulushnar
Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:38 pm
When I was levelling, I just had fun. Don't worry too much about drops, everything will be replaced several times over by the time you hit 70.

The only items I really chased whilst levelling were the sword from the SM quest and the shield from the SM boss. I had a bored 70 warlock friend of mine help me grind SM one Sunday morning until the quest was done and the shield dropped.

One Mara run to the Princess is decent if you can because the Thrash Blade's a nice toy with Reckoning (especially if you get the Firey Blaze enchant from the Badlands quest).

Levelling a toon is like visiting a foreign city. you can follow one of the many guides out there, or you can throw yourself into it, take a few wrong turns, have some silly adventures and come out the other side wiser for it.
_________________
Don't ask any more stupid questions / You already know the answers to
Armory : Gear Advice
Arcand
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:51 am
For the love of god stay away from blacksmithing.

Unless you believe that people can change.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - Tanked 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 1/1 ML, 6/6 ZA, 0.5/5 SSC, 1/3 TK, 0/2 MH, 2/4 BT
The only real things in this game are the other people playing it - so get some f-ing manners.
bub64882
Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:15 am
I don't know if these are your first toons, or just your first Paladins. In case you are new to WoW, I would recommend grinding enough Battleground honor to get your PVP trinket ASAP. A free break from Fear is always helpful, in PVP or PVE. It's pretty cheap as far as honor goes, and if you want a PVP mount, the marks you'll earn can go to your mount at 30.

Especially at the early levels, when there really aren't any essential trinkets to compete for the 2 slots, having your PVP trinket is a nice safety cushion.

As far as professions go, Engineering is popular with a lot of Pally Tanks who want a ranged pull (Dynamite/Grenades) pre-Avenger's Shield.
Guillex
Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 am
It did kinda seem that way ... But I'm not pissed or anything. Smile
_________________
Official thread killer