Skip to content
Maintankadin

Grinding as Prot

Inaam
Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:38 pm

Grinding as Prot

Now, before i start, i understand that as a prot spec, grinding will be a lot harder and slower thena sa DPs spec. I understand completely that you will be doing a lot less damage output as a tank.

But surely this is ridiculous... I seem to do more damage on my lvl 50 hunter alt!!!? How is this even possible >_<? I have about 400+ spell dmg but it still takes forever for the mobs to die. Even if i aoe tank a lot of em, they die excrutiatingly slowly.

I'm looking for any tips anyone might have that might squeeze the tiniest bit of damage out of me. Should i have a 2H wep specifically for griding, for example? A whole different set? If so, what stats?

Thanks in advance Smile

~Inaam~
Zx
Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:53 pm
find a pack of mobs like the demon hunter supplicants and profit.
_________________
Kwelzenda
Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm
I'd like to preface this with the simple fact that I haven't actually done any grinding in outland as prot.... yet. Having just respec'd at 68, I'm planning to gind out the last 2 levels (supplemented with instance runs) to 70.

One thing to keep in mind about prot grinding is we use the AOE concept. Find some melee mobs that hit fairly fast and collect 3-5 of them (depending on how many you can survive). Judge/Seal Wisdom/Light to keep your mana/health up. Use ret aura, have a shield spike, get the Sporregar rep shield, use blessing of sanc and spam holy shield whenever it's off cooldown. With that many mobs hitting you, reckoning should be proc'ing just about constantly. If you have the mana to spare, a couple of consecrates, but I find that is too much of a mana hog, and prefer to save mana for holy shield and the judge/seals. You don't deal out large numbers of damage in a single strike, but your reflective damage is lethal. By the time you finish the first mob, most of the others in the pack will have been reduced to at minimum 75%, and possibly even to 50%.

When I was aoe grinding pre-outland, it was not uncommon for me to find the last couple mobs in the pack only needed a couple sword hits to kill.

With this method, you should find that you can grind out roughly the same number of mobs as a ret burst dps build but you do them all at once instead of individually.
_________________
Gustov
Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 pm
just to emphasize one of his points. get a shield specifically for AoE grinding. The one you get for sporregar rep is great for this. also if you find you need to take less damage and you want to deal some extra, with your SD blessing of sanctuary will help too. Id advise a mithril spike or higher and make sure you are using ret aura.
_________________
Dendrah
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 pm
how are you gonna grind mats fro that one if you have grinding probs to start with? Not everyone has a lvl 70 lock/hunter pooring money on his tankadin.


My advise for grinding is... Get a friend to help you out. And if it is just exp you need the instances will give you some.
Ruex
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 am
Wear you tank gear, round up a group of mobs, toss on seal of light. Then get up go make you self a sandwich and get a coffee.. come back in 3 mins and loot the corpses.
_________________

Grokii
Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:50 am
Also, if you are an engineer farm up the mats for the [item]Force Reactive Disk[/item]. (did the item tag work?)

It costs the same to repair as my other blue outland shields. I only use it when I have 10+, but never had it break completely on me. I just recently started farming the supplicants. Its funny when I pull all of them and equip this, just a ball of light.

The shield is bind on equip, so you just have to hope someone on your server was an engineer that raided molten core. The mats aren't hard to farm or buy on the AH. It's finding the person with the recipe. I just started sending blind tells to raiding guilds that were around back then and got a list of people that were engineers and played back then.

I haven't done any theory crafting to see if that does more damage then a sporgarr shield with a felsteel shield spike. I'd be interested to know how many I have to pull for this shield to beat the dps of the sporgarr shield.
Joren
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:00 am
I did recently 550dps for a short while by myself, tanking a bunch of ugly seamen with parrots.

And I was on lvl 48, so either you are doing it wrong or you should respec, possibly both.

So the thing is, as so many have said already before - to get reactive damage on a big bunch of enemies that are hitting you in melee.
_________________
Grokii
Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 am
I clear all the supplicants in shadowmoon valley, run over and pull the ledge of orcs that drop the fel armerments. After drinking, the supplicants are starting to respawn.

I alternate between the two and the shield breaks after a half hour. I pull with the sporgarr shield, once they are all set I hit my trinkets and put on the disc. Once some start dying, I switch back to sporgarr.

It doesn't break after every other pull, it actually lasts quite a while. And it costs about the same as a blue outlands shield to repair.
Marklevin
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:27 pm
if you wanna grind stuff farm trash in BM, on my server at least the Netherweb Spider Silk sells for 10g a piece, and if you're a skinner, even better. Otherwise farm the Aldor stuff at Death's Door, that's usually good money.