Skip to content
Maintankadin

Hit Rating - how important is it?

Discus
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:33 am

Hit Rating - how important is it?

I'm level 76, still wearing mostly T4,5/badge gear and noticed last night I have 0 hit rating. Is this bad?

Post ShotR I haven't had any issues with threat, generally I'm the lowest in a guild run and I'm holding aggro no problem with level 80 dps, so what's it for?
Panzerdin
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 am
Making sure your taunts don't miss, and giving you the edge in situations where your DPS are pushing the threat cap. Additionally, it improves your protlol DPS.
Ashmadai
Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:36 am
Remember how you used to try to get spell damage where you could for threat? Well now besides the STR that's on all our gear, your other methods of improving your threat are through hit rating and expertise. It makes you miss less, plain and simple. The practical reasons are you don't want your taunt to miss, and you don't want to miss two judgements in a row, dropping off your JotJ.
_________________
Veilan
Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:37 am
Nothing is more embarassing than the new AS animation for misses, bouncing through the whole room screaming OHLOLOL THIS GUY CAN'T SPEC PRECISION ANYMORE at everyone.
_________________
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
anthony
Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:08 pm
how important is hit, its as important as icing on a cake, crust on a pie, the asylum in MTadin and as important as tomatoe kethup in everything.
_________________
i come with my own background music, yes im that cool.
~
Indago
Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:20 pm
Ok, if hit is a nice take-it-where-you-can-get-it stat, which is better to have hit or expertise?
_________________

"It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you get hit, and keep moving forward."-R.Pausch
Veilan
Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:22 pm
Hit. Affects more stuff, causes more problems when it fails.
_________________
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Diocaska
Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 am
Alot of our main threat components don't need expertise anyways.

Avengers Shield, Shield of the Righteous, Righteous Defense, Judgement, Concecrate. - None of these benefit from Expertise.
_________________

"Good tankadins know all the fundamental rules of tanking
Great tankadins know when to break these rules" -Passionario
Discus
Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am
Comprehensive replies as usual, thanks all.

Given I'm only just swapping T4/badge epics for the saronite set I'm not going to be seeing any hit rating for a while. I noticed, whilst tanking halls of lightening over the weekend, lots and lots of misses which eventually meant we abandoned our try due to me not establishing enough threat (at level 76 I felt no shame).

So, is it worth/possible to gem/enchant for hit rating once the all important 435/40 defense cap has been reached? I had intended to stack strength after defense but maybe I should focus on these more esoteric precision stats on my heroic starter set?
Veilan
Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:55 am
I don't think it should be your goal to gem / enchant specifically for hit. Some of it may help, but your raid will be dealing with the same issues, and the not hitting at 76 is mostly from the exaggerated gap in hit chance that is blizz' way of level balancing.
_________________
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Fridmarr
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 pm
I'd say at the naxx level it's not very important at all, assuming you have the RD glyph.

The posts in this thread have outlined pretty well how it helps, it's just that we don't really need much help with those skills. Once you have picked up a mob, your threat should be fine without any hit at the moment. When you are 80, the base miss chance for a boss is only 9% (though recent data suggests this may have been changed to 8%) and it will be less for adds/trash. We have the utilities to help in picking up mobs, even if one skill does miss.

Quite a few pieces of tank gear do have some hit on them, so you'll likely pick some up along the way. I wouldn't really look to gear for it beyond that.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
greatcow95
Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:23 pm
I guess it would depend. There are people that will throw around "magic numbers" on it, but you could always just keep stacking +hit until you're satisfied with the hit/miss ratio in combat.

Note that hit counts for both spell and melee hitting if I am remembering this correctly, but it breaks down really weird between spell hit and melee hit.
_________________
The fun never ends: kalganism.blogdrive.com