Skip to content
Maintankadin

Overgeared?

dragongirl411
Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 am

Overgeared?

Hi all. Just started lurking in these forums recently...first time post.

I've seen comments made that if a tankadin is going OOM alot, they may be overgeared. Sorry for the n00b question, but what does that mean exactly?

Thanks in advance.
amh
Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:52 am
It means you do not take enough damage to get enough mana back from spiritual attunement, or not having enough mobs on you for blessing of sanctuary to be effective. It's just the same as druids / warriors getting "rage-starved".
_________________
Armory
daemonym
Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:53 am
that is because we won't get any mana back from spiritual attunement and being healed because we aren't taking any damage. this is about 90% in the past due to divine plea. if you're still going oom fast, pull more.
_________________
dragongirl411
Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:33 pm
Thanks. Makes perfect sense.
Nalloa
Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:46 pm
This has been happening to me more and more lately. If you are indeed overgeared for an instance, you are most likely keeping decent threat. As long as your DPS isn't insane, you can start working in judgement of wisdom especially now that JoL doesn't scale threat like it used to. If you still have no issues keeping threat and still need mana, use SoW as well. I first started having these issues in H VH and with those three (JoW, SoW, sanc aura) i don't have to drink between portals.

I switch kings on during bosses as well as my usual judgements and seals, and my damage output is much lower, but it gets the job done. /shrug
_________________
Kalakaua
Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:13 am
it was a bigger problem before patch 3.0 when we didn't have divine plea, blessing of sanctuary didn't return mana, and when it was impossible to maintain decent threat using seal of wisdom.

Now days, it's hardly an issue. I'm pretty well geared, and I have no mana issues in any of the wotlk instances, heroic or regular. If I overgear a place, I just use seal of wisdom. Combined with hammer of the righteous hitting 3 targets at a time, I have all the mana I need.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&n=Kalakaua
Scottzirra
Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:13 pm
if your tank is having a lot of problems maintaining mana, he probably is bad, and is not keeping blessings of sanctuary up. There are still situations where he/she may be oom, but with divine plea, I find I do not have trouble being oom for long periods of time. Mana pots can also be handy in those, "OOPS i pulled while OOM" situations.
Wolvar
Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:17 pm
I'm overgeared for all instances and I never have to drink. Dunno why any pally would. BOS and divine plea are all you need.
_________________
Rythos
Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:49 pm
You can also help avoid this by keeping an eye on your threat and managing your mana. If you have enough threat on everything and you're not taking enough damage/avoiding enough melee to sustain your mana, it's time to slow down on your abilities and let your mana regen. Having mana for the next pull is going to get you through the instance quicker than going all-out and running yourself oom.
_________________