Skip to content
Maintankadin

Strafing is my weakness

vwest87
Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:23 am

Strafing is my weakness

This may be due to the fact that I have almost always changed the default bindings for strafing and rebound them to other abilities and have since been trying to get them replaced since.

Currently my Q and E keys are bound to holy shield and HotR.
This is mainly due to the nature of the 9696 rotation and I am able t have Judgment, ShoR, and Consecration on my 2-4 buttons respectively and AS on the 1 key. This allows me to easily access all my abilities while maneuvering in many different fights and maintain my rotation and threat from trigger happy mages Razz

I'm wondering if anyone else has trouble with this and what some might advise to do, I would prefer to leave my current keybinds, I've read that some people rebind the A and D keys to strafe and simply mouse turn, I have no issues mouse turning but I seem to use a combination of the two honestly and when attempting to do this I ended up turning Malygos onto my raid right before an arcane breathe T_T

I may just need to go ahead and force myself to learn the strafe as the A and D key and only mouse turn in some heroics but if anyone has any ideas what I could do that would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside I would like t thank all of you for all the great information this community provides as this is the first time I have even felt a need to post since everything was generally well covered to answer my questions. Smile
_________________
MrDuck
Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Strafing is my weakness

Well i play on arrows, so i have these strafe keys left out at all, what i do is i just turn with mouse most of the time, but i have my left/right keys bound to turning, but when you press the right mouse, it works as strafe (well i know you know this already) and that's all i can ever need for movement. I have like every single spell/item/anything i can need in combat bound to keys nearby and alt/shift/ctrl+these keys, so i really only need mouse for turning anyways. Oh and selecting targets for taunt and such if needed but that's obvious Razz
_________________
DisRuptive1
Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:55 pm
My suggestion is to remap your keys. I know you don't want to but it will make you more effective. You can keep everything the way you like, but it helps to add more than one spell to a single key click by using modifiers to cast additional spells. You can press a single key to cast spell one, hold down shift to cast spell 2, hold down control to cast spell 3, and even hold down two modifier keys for a fourth spell.

If you want to use the shift key as a modifier, you'll need to disable it in the keybinding for switching between action bars (use shift+mousewheel instead)

You can put quite a few spells under one keyclick. The only thing stopping you is the 255 character limit.

phaqueue
Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:11 pm
I also have Q and E rebound... my solution? I use my mouse... a lot...

if you hold down the right mouse button and use the A and D keys... you will strafe... go pulll random world mobs to practice... or just run back and forth....

takes a little getting used to... but it's how I play now Smile
_________________
Threatco
Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:08 am
I like to play with my right mouse button held in for 100% full control. Everything else done with left hand. I can choose to use q or e to strafe. But I rather hold mouse in and use a or d and still have 100% control.

A lot of the videos I watch it seems like the tanks who make it use the keyboard to move the camera, as they move with fast broad jerky motions. I only do this if I need to see behind me but not change my facing. (kiting back and need to watch for a door in a wall to pass through)

Since every pro tank video I seen (and pvp for that matter) seem to use the button-camera control it makes me feel like this may be another one of those "I am a unique snowflake" situation for feeling my way is better in spite of them.

I think this is one of the reasons why I never had trouble with loken.
_________________


At 540 Defense, when the tooltip says you have 5.6% chance to be missed, you really have a 4.11%.
Karnadas
Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:48 pm
a and d are strafe
q and e are turn
w and s are forwards and backwards
1 is HotR
2 is Hammer of Justice
3 is Righteous defense
4 is holy shield
5 is hammer of wrath
6 is cleanse (i also use clique to cleanse, but with auto-self buff turned on its easier to cleanse myself by hitting 6)

mouses' 5th button is judgement
mouse's middle button is DP
Shift+A is consecration
Shift+S is ShoR
Shift+D is whatever seal, usually corruption
Shift+F is the block trinket from H VH

Even though I have q and e as turn, the only time i use them is when summoning people, otherwise it's right-click and drag.

After playing for a while with these keybinds, they've become very easy to use. Since we have no holy pallies, I just put sacred shield on number 5 during Loatheb and sneak it in here and there. Once I started doing that, the healers noticed a difference right away.
Threatco
Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 pm
When you need to play one handed Embarassed
_________________


At 540 Defense, when the tooltip says you have 5.6% chance to be missed, you really have a 4.11%.
Levantine
Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:46 pm
fapfapfapfapfap
_________________
Levantine: Frost Tank
Anzen: Restogoat
Popeadin: Retardin