Skip to content
Maintankadin

Parry Gibbing?

Trilynne
Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Parry Gibbing?

Okay... I feel newbish. I thought I understood this, but now I'm not so sure. Why is it a bad idea to gem/enchant for parry? I thought it was because if you parried the boss, their next swing was increased in speed, so you didn't want to stack parry, but apparently it's the other way around? Is there a theorycrafting reason for not having too much parry?
Thanks in advance...
_________________
Majiben
Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:30 pm
From the tankadin's glossary for wotlk:
KysenMurrin
Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:52 pm
The reason you don't generally enchant or gem for parry is because parry rating is budgeted at the same level as other ratings, but has a much steeper conversion of rating to % chance. Even with diminishing returns affesting dodge, it is usually better to pick dodge or defense over parry.

Even were parry gibbing a big problem (it's not), it wouldn't be the reason you don't gem or enchant for parry. Wink
_________________
Knaughty
Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:44 pm
Parry is more "expensive" than dodge for the same amount of Avoidance, so best to avoid it if you can.

Parry rating also gives you more white damage. IE: Parry = Avoidance + Haste. This is probably why it is more expensive.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Trilynne
Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:15 pm
I get it now, thanks all! ^^
_________________
Lykaon
Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 am
Just to be clear, I find that people often think that getting Parry Gibbed is related to your parry chance.

That's simply not the case. Your parry percentage being high does not mean you will get Parry Gibbed, because that percentage effects how often *you* parry a mob's attack. This causes *your* swing timer to get reset, not his.

The mob's swing timer resets when *he* parries *you*. This is not affected by your parry rating, but *is* affected by your expertise.

Parry rating is one of the least desired avoidance stats, but it has nothing to do with parry gibbing. It's just not budgeted in a particularly convenient way.
Ashmadai
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:33 am
The answer is they use them alllll the time if they have BoSanc. =) Same thing for DKs. It makes me a little jealous when I see the sick TPS those fools can do with Sanc due to on next attack abilities, but I do about the same as they do anyway so I suppose it's nothing worth caring about.
_________________
Arcand
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:37 am
Not really anything for us to worry about, but they're choked that their performance falls off noticeably when we aren't there to give them Sanctuary.
_________________
"Almost silent, but watchful and helpful."
Racolus
Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 am
This may derail the original post but this has bothered me for a long time.

Why, even with DR, many of us avoided parry?

I noticed my dodge return fall sharp after 22%, why keep on stacking it, wasting gem slot to stack something with lower return?

I myself took a more positive look on parry rating, I stack parry rating and choose tank item with some parry rating after I got like 21% dodge.
CircuAuchindoun
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:26 am
Thanks for the fill in guys, my next question would be: if I have legitimate reasons to start putting some extra points into Reckoning, what amount of expertise should I be looking at to further reduce my chance to get parried?

I know it first reduces your chance to be dodged then works into parrys. Numbers please?
_________________
Paladin (Circu) - Protection (3/56/12) - Auchindoun (Horde)
Wolvar
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 am
4 points of Expertise = 1% parry reduction

I haven't yet found anyone who is sure what the parry percentage is on bosses and many believe it varies by boss. It's at least as high as 15% and possibly up to 20% on some bosses.
_________________