Skip to content
Maintankadin

MT Threat Issues, help needed.

Kelstet
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:11 am

MT Threat Issues, help needed.

I know I'm not a scrub tank by any means, I was our guild's progression tank pre-wrath, a raid leader of my own 10 man crew and in general fairly knowledgeable about how to tank on my paladin. I'm a MT prot pally doing my 969 faithfully as well as throwing in anything else I can when I get the chance, angel wings all the like and I'm having issues with my OT a druid pulling threat on me, while I don't mind it happening on trash, if this starts to get out of hand is there something he can do or something I can do to work on my threat issues? We did a VoA 10 before dropping into Naxx this past weds and he kept pulling higher threat in Vault over me. I mean it may be that he's taunting because it's a relatively new fight for him but I mean if he's not is there something else I can focus on? Should I throw armsmen on my gloves?

Some info on the fights:
  • Double check righteous fury is up.
  • Keep Devo up as I'm spec'd imp Devo.
  • I use Seal of corruption as my main seal
  • I judge w/JoL
  • My rotation starts:
    • ooc Seal of Corruption
    • Avenger's shield the boss (mobs)
    • Holy Shield
    • Judge JoL
    • HoR
    • Consecrate
    • SoR rinse wash repeat, judge when needed.
  • Angel Wings when the CD is up
  • My Armory

Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated as I honestly cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I run Omen as well but didn't find myself digging into it all too deeply thought I would ask you guys before I start doubting myself further. Also I'm not wearing em, but I got the Legplates of Inescapable Death which I put the 55 stam on along with a 24 stam and I believe the 8 dodge/12 stam, however I didn't switch back to them when I logged out, sorry.

Curious, Kel
_________________
Kelstet

Have Tank will Travel.
Wolvar
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 am
Your OT is likely trying to pull aggro. Have a talk with him.

Unless you actually need two tanks, he should be in cat form anyway and can reduce his aggro.
_________________
Wolvar
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:29 am
If he has more dps in bear on a single target, he's not playing his cat right.
_________________
Wolvar
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 am
Anub- you prolly want him MT your first couple of tries because of cat speed to kite the boss. Alternatively, he can cat until the add comes up and after that he won't catch you on threat.

Faerlina won't matter, one of you will be on adds.

Maexxna- you prolly want him MT as well due to the hitpoint difference, especially if it's your first time. Alternatively, he should be cat for more dps and threat reduction.

Noth- one of you will be on adds and it should prolly be you since they are undead.

Heigan- make sure he's cat.

Loethab- He should be cat.

Patchwerk- He should be bear strike soaker and by then you need to have worked out why he's overtaking you.
_________________
Spite
Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:15 am
imo I don't mind sharing some fights to my OTs. Letting them MT if they really want to. But I do MT all progression and they off-tank. This being said it is there responsibility to make sure not to pull aggro off me( not like they could unless they taunted). I would suspect that he taunted off you. You could on your chat box set it to "what happened to you" and watch the fight and see if his taunting. or if you have a commanding lead and all the sudden he goes from half your aggro to past its most likely him taunting. If your established in your raid/guild as the primary MT then he needs to know his place and not try and pull aggro from you. Same goes as, if he doesn't know how to play feral cat your progression will slow greatly in the next content with duel specs available. Alot of fights only require one tank, and have that extra healer or dps from a tank is always beneficial. My only other suggustion would be to use your Shield of the rightous before your hammer, much more aggro and you'll gain a commanding lead. I would (assuming you pulled boss already have your holy shield up and have thrown your capt. america shield) drop your judgement then immediatley use your Shield of the rightous then use w/e order of threat builders you want. But from my expierence (My guild with myself main tanking have all 10 and 25 mans currently on farm) your shield is by far your biggest aggro builder.
Spite
Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 am
well Hor is going to be within the melee range, I was merely saying throwing shield max distance for the initial pull. But instead of HoR you use your SoR first for a big threat jump. But hey if it works for you then have at it, your obviously not the one having threat issues Smile
saranya
Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:43 pm
i agree, your OT must be taunting otherwise I don't see how a bear can catch up to you in threat. (no offense to bears, I just find they are able to get a nice head start on threat but are usually easily to overtake after several seconds, even more so if i use wings)

if he still won't give, just RD him if he does pull aggro. (Or, whisper your healers to not heal him if he takes aggro on single mobs, lol. after a few deaths he'll get the idea)
leperkhaun
Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm
watch your threat meter during fights to see if he actually is out TPSing you or is taunting off of you
Chunes
Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:22 pm
I think bears are just insecure tbh.

Our beartank is CONSTANTLY trying to yank threat off me. he succeeds about 30% of the time, mainly due to the fact that he feels the need to "be the aoe tank" so he just tends to peel them off me.

in a flat out TPS race, a paladin should come out on top taunts notwithstanding.

Either way, if our silly bear starts yanking my targets off me I just put ShoR rank 1 back on my bars and really make him look silly.

shame they are fixing it Razz

(to prevent this from derailing into a "should I use ShoR1 to beat a druid in threat, No you shouldnt, i just do it to yank threat off him w/o taunting, that way i can just taunt right back when he does taunt off me.)
_________________
Argali
Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 pm
Drop some hit for STR. The accepted hit cap for raid bosses is now 8%. Your armory says you ahve 9.8%.
_________________