Skip to content
Maintankadin

Newb question about 96969

Avea
Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Newb question about 96969

I've been reading this site and it's very helpful. I'm new to wow and have only one lvl 80, my pally tank. So yes I'm newb and I'm going to ask dumb questions. Not to annoy you (although it will) but to be the best I can be! LOL

So I've learned about this 96969 rotation deal which I want to be using. However I can't really find what spells to cast when. This is what I currently do.

SoV - prep
AS - to pull
HS - to be more uber
Con - to grab adds
HotR - to secure
JoL - to further piss things off
SoR - to proc my trinket

*rinse repeat (although w/o AS unless there's a runner. I also throw in a HoW when it becomes available.)

Because of the cooldown I only use wings for bosse's or big fights.

Does this work with the rotation? How do I figure out if it doesn't? The listing's I've seen about it show Con as being cast last, which doesn't make sense to me. I need it for threat if there is over three mobs. Which is almost always.

And one other question does Divine Protection drop aggro? It seems perfect for heroic bosses and their 10k Chain Lightning damage abilities, lol. I haven't tried it for fear of dropping aggro. And before heroics I never needed it honestly.

Thanks for any advice!
_________________
80 - Prot Pally - Ravencrest
xstrykr
Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:29 pm
No, not quite.

Do you understand the basics of the 969 rotation? From what you start out with, it looks like you've got a basic premise, but you're not quite grasping it.

Due to its nature, it can be rotated around somewhat so long as you follow the pattern. If you need to drop Consecrate first, go ahead, you just need to rotate accordingly.

If you're tanking more than 3 mobs, Knaughty said it best:
Dorvan
Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:09 pm
Actually, Consecrate should be your alternate in your 969 rotation only if you're having mana problems. From a threat perspective, it's best to skip HotR for a rotation if you need to cast something else. Again, here's the base rotation:

HS
ShoR
Judge
HotR
Cons
ShoR
HS
HotR
Judge
ShoR
Cons
HotR

repeat

For refreshing seals, popping AW, etc, do it in place of HotR if your mana is okay. If your mana is low, do it in place of Cons. Don't use exorcism, and only weave in AS if you've got it glyphed.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Knaughty
Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:40 pm
We didn't have a good explanation of how to actually do 969 that was easy to find.

Check my advanced training FAQ - link in my sig - it gives HOW to do it.

Easy version:

969 = long-short-long-short-long

Short = ShoR/HotR
Long = Judge/HS/Consecrate

If you ever go long-long or short-short your rotation gets all screwy.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Avea
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:47 pm
Hmm okay. Since they are only 2 short casts and you have to put SoR after Judge there is no way to work in con at the beginning.

Now con and HS are actually 8 sec casts - does that affect the math?
_________________
80 - Prot Pally - Ravencrest
Martie
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:53 pm
No, it makes them go off cooldown shortly before you cast them.

You can start with consecration, though. You can start with any of the nine second skills.
(Note: Nine second skills because, for cooldown purposes, eight and nine seconds are identical when chaincasting.)

For quite a lot of specs, judgements will be on eight seconds cooldown as well, by the way.

From my experience, you will have a very solid thread lead by the time you want to cast anything that'd break the cycle, so if you need to recast your seal, cast divine plea, just do so. What you replace doesn't really matter, since doing the optimal threat cycle isn't needed in most of the current content.
_________________
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile