Skip to content
Maintankadin

Death Knight threat

Indago
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:59 am

Death Knight threat

Just a quick question-

I was in H violet hold tonight, and there was a dps DK in the PUG group with us (i think he was blood spec). For the first part of the run everything was normal, I tend to be pretty mana conscienous in there so I wasnt going all out but I was still far and away ahead of all the dps on threat, including the DK.

Then, just before the 2nd boss, his threat jumped wildly up the charts, and he pulled one of the trash that I didnt have targeted directly off me. My 1st thought was that RF wore off, but I checked and still had it up. Im almost positive he didnt taunt because the animation for them is pretty visible and even after that he was nipping at my heals the rest of the run. It got much harder for more to watch my mana usage and still keep threat up on him, I was going oom so fast I was almost ready to switch out from kings to sanc.

I admit I dont know anythink about the DK class so I have no idea what he was doing that was pulling threat, or if it is just an aspect of the class in general, or even if I was just slacking off somehow. His gear was ok, mostly blues and an epic crafted mace, but nothing spectacular, and I think he finished 2nd on overall dps.

If anyone could shed some light on this itd be much appreciated so I know what to expect next time I PUG with a DK.
_________________

"It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you get hit, and keep moving forward."-R.Pausch
Levantine
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:01 am
Our taunt animation is the same as your taunt animation, which is the same as Warrior and Druid taunt animations. Death Grip, while definately a taunt, is not our primary one.

Sounds like he was just being a douche and trying to dps in Frost Presence.
_________________
Levantine: 10/15 Nax (10), Sarth+0 (10), 4/15 Nax (25), Sarth+0 (25)
Anzen: 1/1 Hogger (40)
hoho
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:19 am
Did you notice how his DPS change? I had a pug 25-man VoA where I could barely keep threat from DK doing ~1.5k dps when some other was doing almost 4k and was way behind me. Frost presence is bad for dps.
Levantine
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 am
Blood will have terribad dps in VH anyway, since it's virtually an AoE clusterfcuk.
_________________
Levantine: 10/15 Nax (10), Sarth+0 (10), 4/15 Nax (25), Sarth+0 (25)
Anzen: 1/1 Hogger (40)
Snake-Aes
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:45 am
DKs dps in blood or frost presence. On this stance, if they have a minimal amount of intelligence in their proto-brains, they'll have subversion and do like 0,6 threat per damage.

If they switch to frost presence.... they're doing 2,07 threat per damage.


If that's the case, I bet you 5g that he'll say "But frost presence is more ap!" :p
_________________
Promoted from Spankadin to Rayearth Magic Knight!
WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Stairway to Heaven
Levantine
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 am
ILY Bladed Armor
_________________
Levantine: 10/15 Nax (10), Sarth+0 (10), 4/15 Nax (25), Sarth+0 (25)
Anzen: 1/1 Hogger (40)
Worldie
Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:26 am
Just so you know, Bladed Armor doesn't gain any benefit when you switch in frost presence. DPSing in Frost presence is wrong in SO many different ways.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Ashmadai
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:09 am
I wish I could meet a DK who thought DPSing in Frost Presence was smart because they want to gain ~300 AP rather than having +15% damage done, rofl.
_________________
Indago
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm
Thank you for the explaination. Smile
Guess I just drew the short straw when it came to random PUG group members :/
_________________

"It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you get hit, and keep moving forward."-R.Pausch