Skip to content
Maintankadin

Quick Newbie Questions

Mylindra
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:18 am

Quick Newbie Questions

I have transitioned from a NElf Hunter to a BElf Tankadin in the release of Wrath with overall success (Get complements and repeat invites) but I still have a few questions that come from simply being a bit new to tanking - and I am tired of Warriors saying 'Just XXXX!' So I need some help....

1) When the RL calls for a tank rotation, I dutifully ready my RD, use it, and then often one of two things happens - either I get a resist (seems about about 20% of the time) or the mob attacks me, but I can't build threat fast enough to keep it on me. I've been attempting to up my hit, but any other things I should be doing considering the RD mechanic?

2) I am often assigned the role of offtank (cringes as this is being posted on 'maintankadin forums') which I have no problem doing most of the time. However, I was tanking the adds at Faerlina, but could not get them grouped up on the spot the RL wanted. Every time, tried to draw them back to the spot, they simply started casting. I was able to get two at melee through an Arcane Torrent use. When running 5 mans, I get casters where I want them through skillful use of LoS. Is there a skill/technique that I am missing to group casters up when out in the open?

Thanks
_________________
Mylindra - Lvl 80 - EU Argent Dawn
Wachter
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:25 am
1) go grab the RD glyph, free 8% hit=lots and lots of unneeded hitrating. it caps it out for you so that it doesnt miss

2)pretty much just do what you can up in their face, when they stop casting is when you pull them back. Hammer three of them and shieldbash the one that it misses to maintain threat over them

for general offtanking/hateful eating, some people (this includes me) use SoBlood for dps/SA gains with pretty good success.
_________________
When you fight a Paladin you either win.....or die.
There is no "running"
amh
Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:32 am
1. Prep holy shield, taunt, shield slam, hotr. Lots of threat right there

2. Off-tank should be pulling on Faerlina, not MT. You run in, drop a consecration, MT picks up boss, moves her away. If you still want to move the adds, use that silence-thingy you guys got and start backing away. They should follow you.
_________________
Armory
Isetnefret
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:44 am
Why not CC some of the adds?

When I'm on add duty, we have a ret paladin repentance one of them, a rogue sap on, and a mage sheep.

Even alone, I have to be very careful not to kill the damn thing too early.

I can't imagine tanking them all....unless you don't use holy shield....or any other offensive ability...
_________________
Wolvar
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:50 am
We tank them all. It's not that hard not to kill one until it's time for it.

Shouldn't matter where you tank Faerlina's adds. It's easier for the MT to adjust the boss as needed.
_________________
Akairos
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:51 pm
pffff, we don't even use the adds, just aoe zerg them and then kill boss, much easier.

But as a guild starting naxx, let the OT pull, I find a good strat is to avenger shield in this pattern

mob1 mob2 Grand widow mob3 mob4

avenger shield mob 4, it bounces to mob 3, fire it as you run in, and hammer of righteous mob's 1 and 2, the boss will probably get 1 hit on you if the other tank is slow, arcane torrent 3 and 4, and it should be close enough together to keep a consecrate under them all. If you cannot get them close, just hammer and judge them every now again, and when an add is called out to be killed, build threat on it then.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodscalp&n=Akairos
Progression tanked: (2/3 spider, 2/3 Plague, 3/3 Military 2/4 Construct 10/25)25naxx and all of regular naxx, sartharion+010/25, Malygos 10
leperkhaun
Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 pm
as others have said tank the adds on the platform and have the MT pull the boss away. i just keep swapping between the adds to make sure i ihave enough threat, and will judge or shor(yuken) as needed, then i got dps the boss and randomly check the adds to see if i need to run back and add threat.
Nalloa
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 pm
I usually OT on this fight because it is easier for me to hold the sacrifices. I run in first and drop a consecrate, and as mentioned, use the blood elf silence to get them to all run to me and stand in the dot for a few ticks. I hammer one end of them and shield the other end of the sting once the boss is pulled away from the group. I pop on judgement of wis and seal of wis and just attack like normal. I switch hammers off from one end of the string to the other if any threat starts catching up, but generally it doesn't.

In ten man, our rogue will mark the target to die with a skull and DPS him down to about 10% then once she enrages, kills skull. When time comes up again, he marks the next with a skull, etc.

Same basic pattern with mind control, i usually tank all 6 of them to keep mana up.

It also helps if you cleanse yourself of poisons unless you have a shammy in your group. I avoid consecrate unless threat is gaining too fast as it has a tendency to kill the sac.

Having the silence is a really nice way to get them in one place for the duration. Just don't forget to move them if you are the target of the rain of fire.
_________________