Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Ultimate "What to stack" List?

Nathelar
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:37 am

The Ultimate "What to stack" List?

The past weeks I've been reading a lot of topics, looking for the right answers. I just wanted some answers about what to stack first. I Now made my conclusion and wrote down this list.

Starts with what to stack first.

Minimum Requirements:
1. Defense 540
2. Stamina 20k
3. Armor 21k

Block Cap: (total of 102.4% needed)
4. Block
5. Defense (gives dodge, parry, miss and block)
6. Dodge (gives more avoidance then parry)
7. Parry

Extra:
8. Stamina
9. Strength
10. Armor
11. Block Value
12. Expertise
13. Hit

Please give me some comments on this. Ive only been tanking for a month now and I hope I didnt make a fool of myself with this list Very Happy

Greetings
Nathelar
amh
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:43 am
Swap stamina and strength on 8&9? :)

It is also a lot easier to stack block-value than armor. Maybe preferable, maybe not. But stamina > strength for sure!
_________________
Nathelar
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 am
Swapped it
Majiben
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:50 am
Block is not avoidance. Defense gives dodge, parry, miss and Block.

I disagree with hit being on the list but if you're going to include it I would add expertise and rank it higher than hit since they give comparable threat and expertise provides a mild damage reduction by reducing parries. You have at least one typo that I saw the needs to be fixed.

I also feel that your armor and stamina requirements are little high. Not that those numbers can't be attained pre raid but they aren't needed to start naxx by any stretch of the imagination provided that you do the research on the fights beforehand.
_________________
Ulushnar
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:59 am
I'd also argue wether or not you "need" block cap for Naxx. It's nice to have, but hard to get unless you're lucky with drops I'd hesitate to call it necessary for starting Naxx10. There's a lot of BR items in there to help you get your goal.

Your health and armor goals seem ok, although I had those numbers not long after dinging 80.

Apart from that, I agree with Majiben. If hit is going on the list then Expertise goes above it. But neither is worth worrying about really.
_________________
I am a sexy, shoeless God of War!
Ulushnar
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:02 am
Block pushes normal hits off the table like dodge/parry/miss, but it's not avoidance.

When you dodge, you avoid all damage.
When you parry, you avoid all damage.
When you block, the damage is reduced by your block value.

See the difference? A block is better than a normal hit, but you didn't avoid the attack, you absorbed some of it.
_________________
I am a sexy, shoeless God of War!
Majiben
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:02 am
Block is block. It doesn't avoid attacks, it mitigates them.
_________________
Nathelar
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 am
So the problem is that naming it avoidance is wrong. And the only thing I have to change Avoidance by naming it "Uncrushable"?

Like I did now.
Majiben
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:48 am
Again I know this, I am no fool. Those abilities affected by expertise get twice the effect from expertise as they do from hit up to the dodge soft cap. This causes the two be have near identical threat benefits. And should two things give similar threat benefits then the one that has a mitigation benefit, no matter how small, is preferable. This is why BV is preferable to AP even thought their threat benefits per Ilvl is also nearly identical.

Majiben
Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:16 am
You have to look at the date.
_________________