Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat problems since 3.0.8

Thalani
Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Threat problems since 3.0.8

I have posted this already, but it was buried in another thread so I am posting it here in hopes to get good feedback.
This is driving me nuts because heroics are now utter chaos with mobs running around all over the place.

This is my armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz+Modan&n=Thalani

Armor: 22760
Defense: 544
Dodge: 22.93%
Parry: 16.82%
Block: 20.28%

Damage: 464 - 618
Speed: 1.60
Power: 2296
Hit Rating: 163
Crit Chance: 11.32%
Expertise: 6

I never abused the double shield bug.
I did used to judge light.
I've also noticed a huge drop in my threat generation. I did a couple heroics last night and the AoE was constantly pulling threat. I did 10-man Patchwerk Tuesday night as MT and, for the first time ever, the warrior tank gradually overtook me in threat and tanked Patchwerk for the remainder of the fight.
Combine this with our new single target Hand of Miss and I am feeling really gimped at the moment.
After the last patch, I glyphed for the 1% extra damage against undead. I was hoping that might help make up for the loss of the Light threat. I guess not.

Yes, I run with Righteous Fury up.
I now judge wisdom.
I have Blessing of Sanctuary on.
I have improved Devo Aura up, so I usually use that one.

You can probably tell by looking at my gear level and my guild's gear level that we are just running 10-man content. We are primarily running Naxx 10, Sartharion with no drakes (just started working on 1 drake).

Tips are appreciated.

-T.
Thalani
Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:02 pm
No...
Should I run one for heroics? Not sure how to set it up, to be honest, but I suppose I should figure it out.
I've seen some reports for previous Naxx raids.

-T.
Othersider
Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:02 pm
I found that JoL threat was pretty minimal on a fight like Patchwerk or in heroics, my only guess because you didn't abuse the shield bug is that other people are gearing up and you're not used to it. Use a 969 rotation on bosses, and sometimes in heroics it is easier to mark a skull so dps with a single target can have something to focus on for a few seconds.
Chunes
Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 pm
sometimes you just have nights where your threatgen is lower than you are used to seeing. It may have to do with you looking at your threat only when it was abnormally inflated and using that as a baseline for your comparisons.

Pre patch using full abuses of JoL/2x Shields, yeah it wasn't hard to break 7k sustained tps.

Pre patch playing fair w/ JoW, it was not hard to sustain 4.xKtps

Post patch, I am not seeing too much difference, maybe something in the order of 5-10% lower threat as a very loose guess.

If you really want some concrete answers, post up some WWS's and they'll get picked apart by the board's number crunchers.

*edit*

did the warrior in your patchwork example have you vigilanced? that has caught a couple tankadins unawares, but it will gimp your threat and buff his a bit.
_________________
Thalani
Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:38 pm
Here's something from January 15th:

http://wowwebstats.com/e4chfsniqzihg

It's all I have for now.
Unfortunately, I was just offtank for the fights shown. I'll have to try to collect some current stats from heroics.

EDIT: I wanted to ask, too, is there anything obviously wrong with my spec or gear? Have I gemmed wrong? Enchanted wrong? Focused on the wrong stats?
Also, these are all guildie runs.

-T.
Vanifae
Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 pm
My advice, you prioritize dodge too much in your gems; Blizzard wants tanks to think about threat, as the overall gear level of DPS improves they will get closer and even in some cases possibly overtake you.

I would swap those dodge gems for strength, hit, or stamina; your enchants seem fine I would get a better shield enchant though or the +40 block value enchant/item.

But yeah too many dodge gems, change them to threat gems.

Get the additional Buckle gem slot.
_________________
I am fucking awesome.
Vanifae
Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:33 pm
Good points, I tend to base things on myself and not others. I think stamina is probably the way to go, I assume you are using the 969 rotation? I still think you have too many dodge gems.
_________________
I am fucking awesome.
Thalani
Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:56 am
I ran 4 heroics tonight with a couple guildies, a couple PuG friends...so slightly different mix.
I swapped some dodge gems for STR gems.
I put up Kings instead of Sanc for most of the run.
In some cases I ran ret aura instead of devo.
I had to work a lot harder than I have on a long time to hold threat, but I think I did a little better.

Here's the wwstats:

http://wowwebstats.com/wwdlyd5jcbns3

Oh, my belt already has a buckle in. Is it not showing up in Armory?

Thanks,

-T.
Majiben
Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:17 am
You really shouldn't have done that. At this point there is no reason to get str gems.

Your issue is more fundamental than get more str. You're currently masking the issue. It's like if you had a pitcher of water/juice and you keep running out of something to drink too quickly so you fill the pitcher with larger amounts of liquid. Now you won't run out of liquid as quickly now but you failed to find the leak in the pitcher that was causing you to run out too quickly in the first place.

Now there are a few things that could be causing your threat issues. Chief among them are:
Poor rotation
Stupid dps
High latency
Really poor FPS
Huge (I mean huge) gear differences between the tank and dps

All those areas should be explored and eliminated before you did something as dramatic as swapping your avoidance for str.
_________________
Vanifae
Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:17 am
I disagree, Strength is always a strong stat, it's a little early to be gemming that much dodge. I do agree that your rotation may be the issue though.

A raid would be a signifier, but I can already see you are not using your threat attacks enough in an 88 second fight with Ingvar you used Shield of Righteousness 6 times. Now lest says it takes 15-20 seconds for him to go undead, that still leaves you a minute of time and should put you closer to 8-10 usages. But like I said I really need to see a raid parse.

I still stand by my statement that you had too much dodge though.

Edit: 969 is not so much law as it is a guideline, basically you want to maximize the usage of your threat damage abilities; I sense that isn't happening.

http://wowwebstats.com/e4chfsniqzihg?s=5868-14217&a=xa7dd47

On this Thaddius kill I don't see Consecrate used at all, have you dropped that from your rotation?
_________________
I am fucking awesome.