Skip to content
Maintankadin

Dealing with casters?

Kavod
Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Dealing with casters?

Hey,

I'm on my way to 80 after having shelved my beloved tankadin for a long time. It's going pretty well so far but I still have some bumps to smooth out in 5-mans.

My question for now is: how do you deal with casters? I'm pretty good at LoSing things, but mainly:

a) Do you LoS every time you have something to LoS on and have caster mobs? I find sometimes groups might be like >.> if I do it every single time, and DPS can get antsy while they wait for the mobs to all get to me.

b) What do you do with the nasty pulls where you have more than one caster and nothing to LoS on? For example, running into the first boss's room in UK when there are two Runecasters, not that they do all that much damage. Do you just run at one of them and hope the other one keeps casting at you and not the healer?

Thanks for your advice! Smile
_________________
Torquemada
Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 pm
You must become the master of Zen-LoS. MgT wasn't difficult back in the day because I could visualize corners to LoS around even with my eyes closed.

I think the casters in UK before the first boss are the only casters I don't LoS on. I toss shield, run into the middle in front of the table, pop Arcane Torrent, and enjoy. YMMV if you're not a Belf.
_________________

Heroic Hogger - Now with Fresh Lemon Scent!
Arcand
Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:19 pm
If you have a smart group...

Bubble and pull. Casters, unless they can summon, will run in to melee when you're immune to their damage spells. Consecrate, drop the bubble and go to work.

This only works with a group that understands aggro mechanics*. While you're bubbled, anybody who generates a single point of threat will get targeted by the entire pull and probably disappear in a thick yellow spray.


The probability of getting four groupmates capable of staying off the bad guys' threat tables until your shield drops is not zero. But it's close.
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
Panzerdin
Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm
Option One:
The walk in screaming pull. Chuck AS and start tanking. Not wonderful, because you'll probably pull the next group.

Option Two:
The LoS pull. Chuck the frisbee and head for the nearest corner. Works beautifully if your group isn't retarded.

Option Three:
Get somebody else to stop the casting. Also very good, but retards will fuck it up.

Option Four:
The Bubble Pull. This one is a pain to do, because it nearly always gets screwed up by somebody, and then you have to pick up the pieces. Which is a pain.

Generally, I use these in descending order of frequency. If 1 won't work, go to 2, etc.
_________________
If you shoot Anthony several hundred times with an anti-tank rifle whilst he is stabbed to death by a squad of ninja monkeys, he will be dead.

OK?
Mozen
Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm
I try to make use of my party members when I'm in those situations. Usually someone in the party will have much better tools to deal with casters than I have.

Nine out of ten times, though, some "AOE class" will break whatever CC there is, so most times I end up running around crazy like what Arcand says; but every now and then you get the occasional mage who still has Polymorph on the action bar.

(I must mention I run into quite a few hex-happy shamans, though, and I welcome them with all my heart.)
Zoltar
Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:08 pm
As a BELF I utilise my arcane torrent to silence casters. In Naxx for example on Feralina(sp*) I body pull the whole lot, arcane torrent to silence casters so they group up in melee range on me and get the other tanks to peel their targets off me.
_________________
.
.
.
Ills
Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:29 am
What I've done on occasion where I can't LoS a caster, but can't run in screaming, is toss a shield, run away, then run back to them when they're at a tankable spot.
_________________
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Vioarr
Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:42 am
If it's a group of three and one caster, burn the caster down first, then the rest.

If it's a group of 4 with two casters, then burn one down, stun the other and drag the other two mobs over to the second caster once the first one is down.

LoS pulling is the shit, but if I had a dollar for every time that a dumb ass dps stands right in the open (Not behind the corner like everyone else) I'd be rich. And they wonder why it's called a line of sight pull.
_________________
Bellic
Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:05 am
You can use hand of reckoning on an off caster to keep up agro.
_________________
Bellic - 70
Greymane