Skip to content
Maintankadin

Does the Retribution Aura generate threat?

Denver Dave
Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Does the Retribution Aura generate threat?

Retribution damages those that attack you, and same with Holy Shield, but does this damage generate threat? And is the threat increased when you're using Righteous Fury?

Thanks in advance!
Levantine
Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm
Yes and yes.
_________________
Levantine: 80 Frost [27k HP, 27k Armor, 544 Def]
Anzen: 30 Elemental [Resto in the making]
Threatco
Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 pm
Yes it does.
_________________


Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Denver Dave
Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 am
Ok, awesome. Thanks.

So right now, I'm lvl48 and AoE grinding with the Ret Aura, Holy Shield and Shield Spikes, and BoSanctuary. I use the same tactics when I'm tanking an instance, only I concentrate more on holding as much aggro as possible and less on killing things.

So my next question: Will this be an effective technique for holding aggro at lvl80 or is there something else I should start doing at some point?
Levantine
Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:08 am
[Again you disappoint. Please do better or don't post in here. Arcand]
_________________
Levantine: 80 Frost [27k HP, 27k Armor, 544 Def]
Anzen: 30 Elemental [Resto in the making]
Denver Dave
Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:03 am
I threw out a random tactic I've seen mentioned. I've even read about it in the sticky, however there were so many abbreviations I didn't understand most of it. Which is one opf the reasons I've asked here.

I understand what you're doing because they mentioned it in the welcome post (yeah, I read that one to), about how you should read before asking because the answer is probably in an existing thread, but how about you get off your high fucking level 80 horse and help a fellow human being out.

Is 96969 what I'm looking for or what? Should I invest myself in learning that or is AoE grinding an effective endgame strategy. As I'm enjoying it. Or perhaps they are one in the same.
Nuclearseal
Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 am
at lvl 80 you will use consecration wen you tanking more then 3 mobs at the same time, since HoTR only hit 3 target. consecration will help you keep aggro on the other none hit(of your avenger shield/ HoTR) mobs.

one thing you can do i, avenger shield pull, select a mob that avenger shiel didnt hit, then cast HoTR wen he is on melle range Smile

about the 9696 rotation personaly i only use it for bosses since trash is all about brush damage and there is no point in use a rotation.

hope it helped Smile
Denver Dave
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm
Got it. Thanks. I am level 48, it's my first toon, although I tanked a lot in City of Heroes.

I'm trying to figure out how to put that banner with my stats and what-not in my sig, but I haven't got it yet.
amh
Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:31 pm
http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/ is a good start, gets you a generic sig with the stats of your choice displayed. Just remember to make the link to your armory, not to the above adress (standard setting).

Mine would look something like this:



Riposte
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:46 am
As mentioned above, Devotion aura with the talents improving both armor provided and healing received, is the way to go as prot at 80. If you get a ret pally in your raid they will hopefully have talents improving their ret aura--increasing all your damage done, providing you a haste, and increasing the base damage output of the ret aura. If you are farming/grinding mobs for whatever reason and are solo, you might consider ret aura, but in a group Devo is the prot pally's best friend.
Discus
Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:11 am
Ret aura is very useful at lower levels. I've even gone back to using it in heroics at 80, since on most fights I take so little damage now I may as well.
Shoju
Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 am
Ret aura is just fine for questing and leveling as well as low end dungeons. If you are 48 now, that means when you hit northrend, your gear is going to be blues and greens. When you start to tank these instances, You will probably want to flip over to Devo Aura.

Another thing to remember while leveling (I know of another young tankadin who didn't know this) When you are questing after you get Seal of vengenace/Corruption, you don't need to use it. That's a tanking seal for good threat. Sure, it's got an ok damage component, but you will find you can AoE more, and quest faster if you use SoL/JoL and SoW/JoW together.

When I was leveling as prot (I didn't do this in northrend) I would make sure that I focused on kill count and drop/loot quests. These quests will get done at a reasonable pace for you, as you are able to take large groups at a time.

Don't forget Hand of Reckoning. You can pull 2 packs of mobs at a time if you shield one pack, and Taunt one. It's even better if the hand of reckoning mob runs through a couple of other mobs to get to you, bringing more to the party.