Skip to content
Maintankadin

Looking for advice - heroic tanking

holythief
Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:22 am

Looking for advice - heroic tanking

Hey i'm looking for some advice in terms of gear, enchants, talents, glyphs spec.
Here is my armory for reference:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aegwynn&n=Holythief

My main goal is to be the best tank i can be within my limits, as it stands right now i'm not able to put in the time commitment to start raiding Naxx etc..., so all i plan to do is be geared good enough for 5 man heroics and the occasional 10 man Vault and OT the occasional 25 man Vault

I know some of my enchants are not the most optimized for the slot, i'm working on getting more gold and rep to afford better.

I do have a few extra pieces of gear in the bank that would allow me some wiggle room with the defense cap:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37260
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44745

Here is where i think i can upgrade:
Pants
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43500
Bracers
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37620
Feet
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37618 but only if i replace my main hand weapon to make up for the loss of defense.
Shoulder
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44312 if i get the world drop or find it cheap on the AH
Waist
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40689 or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37241
Head
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41387 lose some defense but it can be fixed by the defense enchant on my shield and or defense enchant on chest.

Any advice on neck, rings and trinckets?
are the titanium craft-able ring and neck worth it?

I'm planning to get the enchants as listed on Knaughty's FAQ here http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=18982

My glyphs are
Righteous Defense
Judgement
Avengers Shield but will change that with the Vengeance one

Please let me know any thoughts, advice, criticism etc...[/url]
bub64882
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm
I'll take a stab.

TRINKETS! You need trinkets. Go kill Loken on normal until he drops his, then it's luck of the draw in H VH for the right boss to drop the trinket there. But Loken's is easy, and will give you a nice boost to defense.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36993

Pauldrons of the Colossus would IMHO be superior to the epic BOE shoulders. YMMV

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37635

The Assault Blade out of H UK (probably the easiest heroic) would give you some defense that would let you swap out your boots to maybe the Titansteel Treads. Or if your comfortable just run H UP until you get Red Sword of Courage.

I just found out that the Emblem of Valor bracers are BOE. If you want, you can pay outrageous sums of money for someone to blow their badges on bracers for you. Maybe an uber-geared guildie would do it for a fair price.

Here's my armory if you want to take a look. I've never raided anything except Vault, so similar boat as you.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorgonnash&n=Tusentak

My bracers suck, but other than that, I'm not unhappy w/ my gear.
_________________
Marker
Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:05 am
Crafted ring is worth it. Unless you're loaded I wouldn't reccommend the crafted neck, you'll get the military chain gorget soon enough anyways.

Switch to stam enchant on hands.
Switch to def on chest. Frees up more def so you can choose choose straight stam gems over hybrid gems if the bonus is something unneeded, like expertice. Gemming for Parry is prolly not hte best choice at your eq level, it's the most expencive avoidance stat. I've mainly used def/stam for yellow and dodge/stam for reds. Could be better alternatives but it's been ok for me so far.

Im in the same position as you, and there's nothing more I can buy from badges on my current kit, there are some BoEs that could be marginal upgrades, but for my scope of playing, which is 5 mans only since I cant find time to committ more than 45-60 mins at a time, that's what Ive been gearing for.
http://armorylite.com/eu/Kazzak/Agbarath
holythief
Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:38 pm
Thanks for the advice guys.

the parry gems and enchants were free so i took them as place holder until i got something better.
theothersteve7
Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:47 am
The shoulders you mentioned run around 3K gold, and there's a better option that's blue. Your current shoulders are only marginally worse. If I got the epic drop I'd sell it.

You own a Cloudstrider's Waraxe? Why isn't it equipped? That's worth holding on to until you get the Red Sword of Courage. Which, by the way, doesn't get totally upgraded until Nax-25.

Tempered Titansteel Treads would be a decent upgrade if you have the money.

JC ring is the first craftable thing I'd buy off the AH. Your shoulders are excellent; don't even think about getting those purples. You might pick up Crusader's Square Pauldrons if they're dirt cheap though, they're a personal favorite of mine.

You can afford to get rid of a good chunk of defense right now, which I would recommend doing so to boost your stamina wherever possible.

Your enchants are actually pretty darn good. I personally agree with the decision of holding off on the bracer enchant until you get a heroic drop, and armsman is scarcely better than an armor kit.

I recommend running COS as much as possible, there's both a bracer upgrade and the shield. Also run AN for the Gossamer trinket provided you have a good healer, and run Violet Hold for pants and the Lavanthor's Talisman. Those pants are an enormous stamina boost. You're at a point where gear is going to come very quickly; enjoy it.
_________________
holythief
Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:09 am
i did some reenchanting/regemming last night, based on advice i got earlier.
I'm not using the axe as i just got it on two days ago and my axes are still 292/400, have not gotten a chance to go to DM for skill-up
Arnock
Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:34 pm
My axes were in the high 100's when I got a waraxe, just get an extremely fast white 1h axe and do some dailies with it, your weapon skill will increase soon enough
_________________

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Panzerdin
Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:05 pm
I'd keep either the cloustrider axe or infantry assault blade as a spare.
_________________
If you shoot Anthony several hundred times with an anti-tank rifle whilst he is stabbed to death by a squad of ninja monkeys, he will be dead.

OK?
Majiben
Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:08 pm
I would vendor them and buy yourself a sweet enchant for your epic with your new found wealth.
_________________
Annadin
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:40 am
I'd vendor all but one (probably the IAB, ymmv) and that one I'd stick a weapon chain on. They're dirt cheap and situationally really handy. Very Happy
_________________