Skip to content
Maintankadin

Some threat advice

Warbutcher
Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:40 am

Some threat advice

Hi, my first post, so lets get down to it.

I have mostly been a heroic tank, rarely having time for raids and such. So that being said the only raids i really have done are VoA and OS both reg and heroic. The problem is when i have MT'd them i seem to be having trouble keeping my threat up, not all the time but enuff times to make me worry. During heroics i have no issues at all and keep up the "969" rotation, here is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Echo+Isles&n=Warbutcher any advice would be appreciated.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Echo+Isles&n=Warbutcher
Arcand
Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:49 am
Gear looks good; I would consider putting Potency (+20 str) on your weapon instead of the chain but that's not going to make an enormous difference. No problems with the talents, I think you have The Standard Tankadin Build.

Do you run with the same DPS most of the time, and are they better geared than you? Do they wait for you to hit the bad guys or are they unloading 0.01 seconds after Avenger's Shield hits?

Do you mark kill targets?
If so, at what point do you switch from target #1 to target #2?
If not...found the problem. Smile
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
Panzerdin
Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:53 am
If you could post a WWS report of you I could check that you're doing the rotation right. If you're making mistakes in that, that can cost a lot of TPS.
_________________
If you shoot Anthony several hundred times with an anti-tank rifle whilst he is stabbed to death by a squad of ninja monkeys, he will be dead.

OK?
adorah
Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:24 am
Even the best rotation won`t always make up for gear differences sadly.

Are you running with people with 25man gear?

I know the first time I tanked a 25 man VoA I was right about where you are gear wise. I had a hell of a time keeping aggro on the people who had already been farming naxx 25 for weeks and weeks.

*shrug* Marking out a kill order does help considerably on trash packs. But if it`s bosses where you find DPS are riding your threat, I`m afraid it`s probably just a difference in gear.
Warbutcher
Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:50 pm
Thanks for the replies!

Yes almost all of my raiding experience have been with other guilds that just needed a tank to fill in, they usually out gear me big time. The only pieces of tier gear i've gotten, i got within the past few days with some lucky drops and rolls on my part. I think i have the rotation down pretty good, with a miss every now and then but nothing i would think major. I have yet to even do one boss in Naxx, never got the opportunity yet. So what should i do, tell the dps to hold off for a little? they see my HP and some gear and think they can go all out i guess. Trash is never a problem, but on bosses they get very close and sometimes i lose it. Maybe i should just tell them ahead of time to take it easy, but then i'll feel like a noob lol.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Echo+Isles&n=Warbutcher
Fayia
Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 am
I've been pugging Naxx 25 the last 3 weeks and it is just a fact that people will

-charge in while you try to pull and position a mob
-unload while you still try to position a boss
-not give a crap when you are stunned / Noth ports / Feugen or Stalag throws you
-not use iceblick / soulshatter / etc

Add to that hunters who won't MD and it is (I find) a compliment to tanking skills that we still keep sort of aggro
_________________