Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat comparison

Saeverud
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:24 am

Threat comparison

Lately I've been having to run my raids as a Ret paladin just because out of the four tanks we had, I had the best DPS set available to use. Also my group just moved up from 10 man to 25 man Naxx this past week. Usually I was the MT of my 10 man with either a feral druid or another paladin to back me up but now it's me and two warriors with the formers opting to go on their other characters.

So with that said this week I was able to observe the two warriors tanking along with a DK pug tank. And I noticed that they've been doing a hell of alot more threat generation than I normally do, despite myself being overall better geared. And while I'm basing my numbers off of a near perfect rotation on 10 man patchwerk compared to the warrior who was doing the actual tanking. (meaning we were both in first spot and not taking hateful strikes)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Derrek - that's the warrior.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Saeverud - While this is me.

I realize the warrior had the full 25 man buffs which would have increased his threat, but I was pulling off around 4k threat, while he was almost doing 8k on his. I can't imagine the heroic/normal difference would really increase his threat that much would it?

At first I thought it was my rotation being somehow messed up, but I've went back and looked through and I have it down pretty good. HS, HotR, Judge, ShotR, Cons, etc... So overall I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on how I might improve or just another pair of eyes and mind to see if I'm missing something.
_________________
theothersteve7
Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 am
Patch constantly adds threat to his top three targets. Is there a chance you were taking that into account for him but not you?

From the sound of your post you seem to know what you're doing. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
_________________
Karnadas
Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 am
I have different gear for patchwerk to basically try to do the most dps possible (2939dps last night). Maybe the Warrior is doing the same?
Saeverud
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 am
More or less I was a bit self conscious about it. I'm not the greatest tank in the world, but I get the job done and I do it to the best of my ability. Which has lead the people who I've been raiding with since Kara to put their trust in me over the two new tanks we brought in.

But seeing the warrior put out around twice the threat I normally did, so it set off a bit of self doubt. Normally it wouldn't have been a problem if it was just the ten of us since we all know how each other performs and know how to cover each others weaknesses, but with 15 new people to the raid it makes me a bit more on edge so I was hoping to get a bit of advice!

Anyways I do have a question. Is it still better to gem for Defense over Dodge? I'm about ready to replace my pants with the t7.5 and someone bought me the emblem bracers as well.
_________________
theothersteve7
Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:43 am
Was the warrior MT and you were OT on Patch? That would totally do it. Remember that anything that hits lightly and rapidly will generate a lot of reactive threat. Warriors have Damage Shield. Also, the specific buffs would matter - Thorns pulls a lot of threat here for similar reasons.

Both of your gear looks pretty close. He's using Lavanthor's which is a decent threat boost but nothing great. I still think it's just a fluke.

I believe the rule of thumb is that you want about twice as much defense rating as dodge rating, in terms of pure avoidance. Which usually just means stack dodge. Defense also adds a little block rating, however. As long as you're not stacking one ridiculously, the difference is marginal. The defense rating needed to get 540 is plenty.

Personally, with your gear, I'd gem to match the socket bonus with a slant toward stamina. Your avoidance is great but your stam could be higher. That's just my opinion, you're at the point where you start determining what works best for you and your healers.

Get the Hodir shoulder enchant; you already have the rep for the cheap one. And if you're getting a bracer upgrade be sure to enchant those. You do have an enchanter in your guild, right? Smile
_________________
Saeverud
Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 am
I was actually comparing his 25 to my 10 man so it was a bit skewed. I'll be MTing this week so I'll be able to make a better comparison.

*coughs* Thanks for reminding me about the shoulders. I kept putting off flying up there until I just completely forgot. I did the same thing with my pants missing the leather worker enchant for the longest time. Along with putting the BS socket on my bracers.
_________________
MomysLidlMonsta
Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:26 am
On patch there seems to be quite some difference from normal to heroic.
I produce 5-6k on 10man, but around 9k on 25man, so your threat should be around the same as the warriors'
_________________