Mirydon wrote:Tordan wrote:No, it's not that I'm trying to avoid AoE, I was just curious if it is needed if DPS strictly focus on my target. Will my single target rotation AoE attacks out threat the DPS AoE that hit the other mobs? If so I don't need to use my AoE rotation until, well, later

Just curious, not looking to change anything unless the answer had been different.
Even if DPS focus strictly on your target, there's still the healer building aggro on the other mobs...
This. The fewer mobs that you have to hold on you, the more likely that DPS will focus on the same target. If they're not marked, (pug) DPS will inevitably NOT focus the target you're on. With two mobs being tanked, it's usually enough to just have AS and HW (and maybe Cons) take care of building threat on the second target. With three mobs being tanked, I usually start using HotR instead of CS. In the rare cases I tank 4+ mobs, I'll definitely drop an Inq'd Cons. That being said - even with a threat modifier, given the relative infrequency of the attacks on mobs other than the primary target, even if you use an AoE rotation, DPS will generally get their face eaten up when a mob that you've lost aggro on turns and bashes the DPS in because they're not focusing on your target. And I often let the DPS do that - that's their own damn fault for not focusing down a target.
Also: Even though it's slightly outdated,
http://www.wowpedia.org/Threat,
http://www.wowpedia.org/Threat_list, and
http://www.wowpedia.org/Aggro may help clear up some of the misconceptions on threat/aggro. The TL;DR version: Anyone in combat with a mob generates threat. Healing generates threat on ALL mobs in combat; attacks generate threat based on damage done to that mob. Range only matters when you overtake the top spot (usually the tank, considered to be 100%) on the threat list: 110% for melee range and over 130% for outside melee range.