Skip to content
Maintankadin

new level 20 questions

Hydrox
Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:38 am

new level 20 questions

Hey, I've been reading this board the past couple weeks, but most of the discussion is for level 70 and I have a few lower level questions. My paladin is just about to turn 20 and I'm going all the way prot as I level.

1. When is a good level to start putting shield spikes on my shield? Will it make a difference before level 35?

2. I was looking at shields to use during my mid 20s to 30s, which one is the better choice, and should I spike it?

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=6320
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=13079
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=7787

I'm thinking the third shield would be best for a protection paladin, right? I already have the Shield of Thorsen in my bank (bought it off the AH awhile ago), but I could run SM with my warlock to try to get the Resplendant Guardian if it makes that much of a difference.

3. Should I use a 1-h sword or a 1-h mace? I see a lot of level 70 paladins around town with a mace, and others with a sword. Just personal preference, or best one at the time?

4. Last one.... If I have retribuation aura on, and a mob hits a party member and gets damaged, does the threat build on me since it's my aura or the party member that got hit?
kalbear
Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 am
1: it's not that big a deal before you get reckoning. Reckoning is what makes the AoE grind sing. Until then it's probably not worth the money.

2. It doesn't really matter, to be honest. It'll help but not significantly.

3. Use the best thing you can get. If it's a sword, a mace or an axe, use it. The only thing that might change your mind is racials; if you're a human, use a mace or sword.
Bereid
Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:40 pm
1) More damage = more aggro but you really gotta think, at level 20 how long will you be keeping gear before you outlevel it? So think about if it's worth the investment.

2) I can't stand shield w/o stamina so personally i'd go with the Resplendent Guardian. Highest Sta of the 3 and the block rating is nice =)

3)Like Kal said, use what's best available to you. Even with the Human Racial it's not that big of a deal at your level.

4)I'm not 100% sure but i think the Aggro goes to whoever is taking the damage rather than to you.
_________________
Pizbit
Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 pm
The above posters have answered all your questions pretty much.
I'll just toss in since it's not far off that at 39 you get the SM shield http://www.wowhead.com/?item=7726 from Cath and later at 51 http://www.wowhead.com/?item=10835 from the final boss in ST.

I put a shield spike on both those shields, SM one will last until ST, and ST one until outlands.

//edit// I used the sword from http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=1053 until outlands pretty much, be sure to do the pre-quest as it comes available.
_________________
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
moseefus
Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 am
Until you get the SM shield, and the sword for doing the SM quest chain don't worry about shields or weapons really. Definitely not worth buying expensive rares off the AH, you just out level them too fast. Spend your time focusing on questing and getting the "milestone" rewards, mainly the sword and shield already mentioned. The sword is the best you can get till mid 50's and the shield is the best you can get till end of ST like was previously said.
_________________
This stuff is like crisco met tefflon coated polished glass in a contest to see which one could make the most stuff slip right the hell off.

Moridian
lvl 19 dwarf pally
Runetotem
z32o
Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:47 am
Yea, don't worry about itemization just now - for some time I've done that and lost A LOT of gold just by buying things at the AH - do quests, level up and I recommend the Gizlock Hypertech Buckler (from Maraudon) before the one at the Sunken Temple (which is the same, but stats are better).

As for the Shield Spikes, since Scarlet's shield, I've always put Thorium Shield Spike, which is 5g at my server, really cheap. Find a BS that can do all, explain you'll need more in the future and ask for a discount Smile

Also, there is a quest for Maraudon in which you receive "Mark of the Chosen", it's a passive trinket that has 2% when you are struck of raising all stats by 25 for 1 minute, pretty ass kickin' for that level and it procs a lot when you are AoE tanking - with 3-5 mobs it keeps up all the time in a fight. Be sure to get it.

I also recommend fast weapons for soloing for the procs of Seal of Light/Wisdom that will heal you when you don't have a healer around Smile

Good luck
_________________
Hydrox
Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:55 am
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at itemization too much. Since I posted, I've reached level 28 and all the items I was wondering about are now obsolete. I think I will wait until I get the above mentioned shield from SM to put a spike on, and since I'm Horde I will get the Sword of Omen, and use that combo for awhile.
Also, I've experienced the joys of what little AoE tanking paladins can do in the low level dungeons I've been in so far, and it's been really fun telling the warrior to dps after failing to hold agro on 2-3 mobs and let me tank, then moving through the dungeon fast and with no problem.
_________________
Blutreich
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:14 am
for low level pallys i would get the BR enchant it is amazing!
_________________

radicalshift
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 am

tanking weapon choices

i have since repaired my dilemma of weapon choice by getting http://thottbot.com/i9379 from last boss in zul'farrak and i feel the weapon speed and parry rating are a better combo than sword of serenity. any feedback on this is apreciated
Gardurm
Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:00 am
thanks for some item advises Smile the trinket seems cool Cool
_________________