Skip to content
Maintankadin

prot leveling spec question

poncey
Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:35 pm

prot leveling spec question

ok so reading some threads here, i can see how 1H spec 5/5 and precision3/3 are more important than spell warding and reckoning.

however, i'm only lvl 62. I tend to solo quest on this guy. the rare times i run an instance there is almost always going to be 1-2 70's taking pity on me, and coming along to speed things up.

is it worth the respec at my lvl , and solo questing, to drop spell warding, and reckoning?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowmoon&n=Poncey is my armory. and yes, my gear is horrid. no + spell damage weapon, so i'm stuck using + spell damage armor to quest.
Robin de tolens
Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:42 pm
I've seen a level 70 tankadin wannabe with less avoidance and defense. That's not that bad, and you will find a spell blade doing a quest, I remember of one.

For the spec, I leave it to the pros Wink
_________________

Aleriya
Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:48 pm
Reckoning is great for levelling, especially when you pull out the big 2H weapon. I wouldn't respec til 70.
_________________
Sarutankah
Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:40 pm
I too am 62 Very Happy

I just put all my points into prot really - will respec once I get to 70 to something that gives me +5% parry, prolly drop imp devotion etc.


With current avoidance and a fast weapon I can solo the first 2 pull in ramps (bubble bandage ftw Smile ) and feel reckoning really helps with any solo questage so yeah . (445 defense in tank gear)

Load up on everything in whatever spec you're using til 70 when you can respec something more "pro".

Ignore my sig.. it my ret set lol Very Happy (levelling 2h axe)
_________________
Worldie
Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:33 pm
Reckoning is lovely when leveling, and very good in 5men tanking due to the threat boost it gives.

It was sad for me having to give it up when i started proper tanking.

Actually i'm very happy to have it again, love big numbers on Omen Smile
_________________

Stilgarr
Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:45 am
Been Prot since 35 and checked around on here a lot for tips ect and found reckoning to be great.

Although Outlands is a bit limited for AoE compared to Azeroth.

The boglord mobs in the cave in southern Zangamarsh are good for it though. Fast respawns which might be able to get you from 63-64 I hope.
_________________
djellum
Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Ring of blood

Theres an awsome levelers spell dmg blade as a quest reward for doing the ring of blood in Nagarond (actually a healer weapon i think but its got 70ish +dmg). the earlier you can get it the better but with a group of decent 70's its only about 20 min. lots of ppl ussually looking for it too so you can group up with 10 ppl and the ones outside the group can help while your groups in the fight, makes it trivial.

It would be rough at all 62's but its the best i found till you can get a real one, and having 70+ dmg weapon at 62 rocks.
_________________
Real Dwarves tank in Crusader Aura


lilleroy
Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:34 am
ur 62 look into Mana Tombs for a good spell dmg blade, as for reckoning, I kept it for a while even after 70 to help me quest till i broke 300 spell dmg then i respec to drop it and pick up spell warding. But thats just me, im an odd one i guess
_________________
Aloette
Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:46 am
What spelldamage blade drops in mana tombs? Pandemonius drops a sheild and some gloves, Tavarok drops nothing, and the nexus-prince drops nothing except a neckpiece which a paladin tank may or may not want. The escort quest gives some nice tanking boots I believe.

Regardless, you'll have a tough time finding a group willing to do Mana Tombs with a 62 tank. The first two bosses pump out a fair bit of damage for the level and gear of players doing that instance. On top of that, the nexus-prince is level 66 -- tanking something 4 levels above you isn't advised.

You're better off tagging along for the ring of blood and picking up the Mogor's Anointing Club. Yea, it's a healing club, but it still has 54 spell damage, some mp5, stamina and intellect. It's actually quite good for tanking from 60-70, at which point you should easily be able to pick up a Crystalforged Sword off the AH.