Skip to content
Maintankadin

Reckoning or One-Handed Weapon Specialization

Fonoc
Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Reckoning or One-Handed Weapon Specialization

Hi. Very new Tankadin. Read some specs on Wowwiki and they all take 1H wpn. Read the tanking 101 here and there is raving about reckoning and 1H wpn gets a "Nice if you can fit it in".

Which talent do you take? Why is that better? Or should I find a way to take both?
Sarutankah
Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm
I think for 5 mans and soloing you can take both and be pretty happy.

I think there is a reason to keep parry low in endgame? I read it once but yeah - I'm slow (Main is warlock Embarassed )
_________________
Balendro
Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 pm
If a boss parries one of your attacks, their swing timer is decreased (er, increased.. er, whatever. they swing faster!). reckoning generates more chances to be parried and thus more chances to get splatted. that being said, I think it's a nifty talent. I just don't have it. >.>
Moses
Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:09 am
Generally when you are leveling/solo grinding reckoning is king. Once you are tanking instances/raids 1h spec is king. There is a good chart here http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=5124 that shows how even squeezing a few points into reckoning can provide a good boost. Personally I can't wait till I can squeeze a few points into reckoning but for now I can't spare the points.
_________________
Gideon
Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:47 am
Parrygib is something that happens to warriors. Put it out of your mind.

People aren't taking 1H spec instead of reckoning. They're taking combat expertise instead of reckoning. Back when it was weapon expertise the cookie cutter 0/49/12 included both reckoning and 1h spec.

There's simply not enough points for all the good talents. Reckoning is also a proc and many feel that, in tanking, it should not be that paladins rely on chance. Also, as your dodge/parry/miss goes up it will proc less often. Reckoning is a great talent but we don't have 66 talent points to spend and must prioritise.

However, because of posts on this forum, reckoning is making a comeback. People are even looking at cutting talents like BoK, imp judgment, spell warding and anticipation to get 3/5 reckoning.

IMO if you can comfortably fit both, get both.
_________________
djellum
Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:41 am

Both?

I take both. I missed reckoning when i ditched it so recently did the 3/5 thing. still seeing it less then I would like, but I just really use it for grinding and extra threat is bonus when tanking. It is nice to hear it ding and watch a mob die at a reasonable rate.

If I had to choose id go 1H WS any day/all day. More dmg to every thing you do = faster grinding, more threat, and a bit less suckage in pvp. I wouldnt be caught dead (a likely occurance) without it.
_________________
Real Dwarves tank in Crusader Aura


Narcil
Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:50 am
I have been very happy w/ 3/5 reckoning, makes a big difference regenerating mana on AOE pulls, I exclusively use Seal of Wisdom....wo need to judge when Consecrate + Holy SHield holds aggro fine?
Tyaera
Thu May 01, 2008 10:16 pm
basically its easy to decide

One Handed Weapon Specialisation scales upwards with gear.

Reckoning scales downward with gear.
_________________
i put the sensual

back into nonconsensual

Talmus
Fri May 02, 2008 8:50 am
Another vote for 3/5 reckoning if you can fit it but can't fit 5/5. I honestly don't really notice much of a difference in how often reckoning is up.
Aedolfmawini
Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 am
You NEED 1h wep, reckoning is nice to have. IMO.
Seloei
Fri May 02, 2008 11:41 pm
1h spec increases all damage done and reckoning adds a few more attacks. DPS/threat increase from 1h spec is larger.

As for parries, a bosses swing timer can not be reduced more than 40% of its initial speed, so getting 3 parries in a row will not result in the boss hitting you every 0.3s 3 times. But 3 strikes between 1.4-2s (assuming 2s swing timer). That is a bit of a bigger damage intake than normal but that is only adding one more special attack (which most bosses do on a random cooldown) to the table. It CAN kill if you are low on health, but the times when you are low on health means that either the healers are slacking or you are undergeared for it.

Parry gib is a warrior myth on Prince since at that point, most healers are not very experienced at raid healing at that level, compared to what the rest of the ride had been up to him. And the usual startup warrior tank in kara has low expertise/avoidance so shield block falls off in p2 often
_________________