Sabindeus wrote:rodos wrote:masterpoobaa wrote:SSD vs 2xHDD?
Depending on the drives i would say the transfer rates would be comparable (maybe better for the HDD's), but seek times would always win out on the SSD.
That's what I reckon, and given WoW does a lot of random reads and not many writes, it should be better, but it's always nice to see real-world results from the apps you're using.
Side note: A lot of people complained about bad performance in Cata, especially on Mac. Some of this was down to what Blizzard did with the GFX quality sliders (what was maximum before is now about the middle of some sliders). However, what I think killed things for me was the new streaming downloader causing internal fragmentation of the MPQ databases. The problem was rotating the camera in a crowded city causing massive fps loss. I'm convinced this was due to slow texture loading, and WoW being too aggressive in pushing off-screen textures out of the cache (particularly problematic with low GFX memory on a lot of Macs). SSD provides a huge boost in that department.
Short version: My old Macbook Pro (Radeon X1300 gfx) became almost unplayable in Dalaran after the pre-Cata patch, but after I put a SSD in it things were fine again.
If you let the launcher sit on "apply non-critical updates" what it's actually doing is defragging the MPQs.
Defragging as in swapping around chunks of data, using up writes on my limited-use NAND memory? Ugh...
I run two OCZ Vertex (the original model) SSDs in RAID0 for Windows and games. I originally purchased a 60GB drive, and quickly ran out of space, so I decided to get an identical drive and debated between RAIDing them and using them as separate drives. In my experience, this decision greatly depends on your SATA/RAID controller card/chip. In my case, the controller on my motherboard is not particularly fast when it comes to SSD RAID, and I don't see a huge difference in real world performance between the single drive and the RAID0. If I were using an Intel board, RAID0 would probably give me a more noticeable boost. Combined with the fact that the Indilinx controllers on the original Vertex drives do not support the trim operation in RAID mode (only idle GC), it would probably smarter for me to go with two separate drives. Boot time into Windows is also significantly longer with RAID0 compared to a single drive.
If I were to buy a new SSD right now, and this information is given with the caveat that I haven't looked at these in a couple months, I would purchase one with a Sandforce controller, no smaller than 120 GB for a system/application drive. Prices for SSDs are approaching half of what they were a year ago. While they're still expensive compared to mechanical hard disks, they're rapidly becoming an affordable option. And swapping your hard drive for a solid state is hands down the most significant improvement you will ever make to your system.





