Skip to content
Maintankadin

Barebones vs. Scratch?

Shyrtandros
Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

So now that you've got all the specs on the PC i'll have built within the next day or two..

Should I overclock and if so will it be worth it? (I only play SWTOR & rarely WoW).

Thanks.
Gab
Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

Shyrtandros wrote:So now that you've got all the specs on the PC i'll have built within the next day or two..

Should I overclock and if so will it be worth it? (I only play SWTOR & rarely WoW).

Thanks.


If you do overclock, it would most definitely increase performance, I suggest OCing the video card. As the processor and RAM should be more than enough to handle SW:TOR at the highest settings. If you do OC the card make sure and monitor your temps closely for the first few days. It might also be wise to put an exhaust case fan near the card to get the hot air out of the case.

The Video card should come with the appropriate tools for OCing although I have heard MSI afterburner is also an excellent program for OCing. I'd google it and see what kind of results/settings other people are typically seeing.

If you bought an aftermarket CPU cooler no reason not to OC the processor a bit though. Should be all kinds of guides for not only the video card but also the processor.
Shyrtandros
Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 am

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

Success! I've completed the hardware process of getting the new computer fully assembled and up and running. From the flex here and flex there for putting in the mobo (<- Look at that lingo.. I'm catching on to this stuff) to scaring myself half to death when putting the CPU in and clamping it down. The whole experience was a complete rush of different emotions. The whole range showed up from anger, fear, humor and joy. I had a few "WTF moments" like when connecting the PSU to the motherboard I put in my 2x12 connector and then went to connect the 2x2 and found.. I didn't have a 2x2 (or so I thought). I fiddled around for almost 20 minutes before I realized that the 2x8 I was dumbfounded with was actually 2 different 2x2 clipped TIGHTLY together.

I'm sure everyone know the moment of truth and ultimate fear which was plugging it in and pressing that power button this moment felt like it froze in time the moment I hit the button.

Tick
Tock
Tick
Tock

BOOOM - everything lit up and kicked up just fine without a single problem. All fans, LED lights ect ect.

Now I must get down to the part I actually need some guidence with.

Software.. It booted up, I get to Bios without a problem - confirm that all components are up and running. I can boot up my Win 7 CD if wanted..

My question is if both of my drives already have win 7 installed on them do I actually need to reinstall the OS? I've heard mixed answers on this one from friends but I trust y'all a bit more.. I would expect all I need to do is get all the new drivers in place..

Thanks again for teaching this "tech-padawan".
Gab
Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

I would reccomend formatting both drives to avoid any potential complications although I don't know a whole a lot about SSDs admittedly. Best to get a fresh install especially with the new machine and new hardware.
gibborim
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

When moving a system drive to a new computer or swapping to a new system drive on the same computer, I always reformat them. Better to kill the installations with fire than to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting the setup. Besides, an OS install on an SSD is a joke compared to the old days.
Talaii
Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

Shyrtandros wrote:Success!

BOOOM - everything lit up and kicked up just fine without a single problem. All fans, LED lights ect ect.

Now I must get down to the part I actually need some guidence with.

Software.. It booted up, I get to Bios without a problem - confirm that all components are up and running. I can boot up my Win 7 CD if wanted..

My question is if both of my drives already have win 7 installed on them do I actually need to reinstall the OS? I've heard mixed answers on this one from friends but I trust y'all a bit more.. I would expect all I need to do is get all the new drivers in place..


Congratulations!

You don't NEED to reinstall, but it's better to. It's not ideal to have two sets of different drivers installed. In theory it should work fine, but in practice it's not always the case.
Skye1013
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:46 am

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

Shyrtandros wrote:I'm sure everyone know the moment of truth and ultimate fear which was plugging it in and pressing that power button this moment felt like it froze in time the moment I hit the button.

Image
Shyrtandros
Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Barebones vs. Scratch?

I ended up reinstalling my Win 7 and just did the custom so all of my old stuff was dropped into oldwindows file.. now I've got 2 drives each with a old windows.. FML when I have to search 4 places for something I've forgotten the location of.. lol