Klaudandus wrote:I need help too
I'm not really familiar with AMD processors, having worked all my life with Intels, up to and including i3s and i5s at work, but I want to buy/build a new rig and was thinking of this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productco ... terCombo=1What would you favor?
If you're really trying to save money, getting a cheap Phenom X4 or something might be worth it. Bulldozers (FX-XXXX) are generally worse than equivalently-priced intel chips, and only really pull their weight in heavily threaded applications - ie, not games. In general, sandy bridge is amazing - very strong single-threaded performance, lower power consumption than the AMD processors, and lots of overclocking headroom if you get a 2500k or 2600k - and very reasonably priced, so it's hard to avoid recommending it.
Note that option #2 requires a video card, it won't function without one. Option #4 has integrated graphics, but don't expect to game on it. Option #3 has integrated graphics that aren't completely useless, but if you're playing a lot of games (and not on an extremely low budget) a decent discrete card is much, much better.
I would aim for either:
- i5 2300/2400, H67 motherboard, radeon 6850 (low budget) + RAM/HDD/Case/PSU
- i5 2500k, P67 or Z68 motherboard, Radeon 6950 or Geforce 560Ti (the Ti is important, there's also a plain 560 that's worse) + RAM/HDD/case/PSU (more expensive, better performance)
I had a quick look through the newegg bundles, and there's a couple of 2500k + mobo + ram/HDD/case/PSU combos (
these, just add a decentish CPU cooler (Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or 212 Evo, the evo is newer and slightly better) and a video card and you're good to go.
Of course, this all assumes you are gaming - if you're not gaming, the Phenom X6s are a decent lower-end choice, though it's still hard not to recommend Sandy Bridge. Main difference is you don't need much video horsepower if you're not gaming.