Skip to content
Maintankadin

Server issues

Skye1013
Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 am

Server issues

Ok... so I recently "inherited" a server that I'm trying to get people access to. It's running on Windows 2000 NT (I'm unable to update it at this time, and it's questionable if I'll ever be able to do so.)

My question:

Does anyone know why someone with permissions to access the server, would be able to do so from one computer, but not from another? Both are connected to the same network, it's just specific computers that for some reason are unable to access them. The weird part is they were able to access the server prior to getting upgraded to Windows Vista/7.

Error received: "The account is not authorized to logon to this server from this station."
Talaii
Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Server issues

I hear google is difficult.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887429/en-us

If the client requires SMB signing (RequireSecuritySignature = 1), and the server has it off, the connection will fail. Likewise if the server requires it and the client has it off. Check the registry keys below, and adjust the non-working machine to fit with the server (if you change stuff on the server, you may break it working on the other computer):
Client:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters
Value Name: EnableSecuritySignature
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 (disable), 1 (enable)
and
Value Name: RequireSecuritySignature
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 (disable), 1 (enable)

Server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters


Value Name: EnableSecuritySignature
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 (disable), 1 (enable)
and
Value Name: RequireSecuritySignature
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 (disable), 1 (enable)

(to open the registry, go Start -> Run (or Win+R), regedit, click OK)
Skye1013
Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 am

Re: Server issues

I appreciate the assist. I wouldn't have known what to google tbh, and after looking through your link, it might as well have been Greek. Your post however did allow me to determine that this might very well be the issue, so just have to get someone with admin rights to the client and maybe, just maybe, we'll have it worked out!
Talaii
Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:38 am

Re: Server issues

Skye1013 wrote:I appreciate the assist. I wouldn't have known what to google tbh, and after looking through your link, it might as well have been Greek. Your post however did allow me to determine that this might very well be the issue, so just have to get someone with admin rights to the client and maybe, just maybe, we'll have it worked out!


I just googled the error message, and looked for an official microsoft link in the results.
Skye1013
Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 am

Re: Server issues

It worked! Thanks :)
Skye1013
Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Server issues

Guess this should be in the frustrations thread, but then I'd have to explain it...

Seems the military has something that resets the option whenever the computer is rebooted... very annoying. Guess I'll have to try changing the server options and hope it doesn't break all the other computer's access :(.