Skip to content
Maintankadin

graphics card issue

Nothan
Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 pm

graphics card issue

I am under the impression that my video card is about to crap out. It's a GTX 560Ti (have two of them in SLi). Yesterday while just idling in WoW, I tabbed back in and noticed some major artifacting. Then the game crashed and took quite a while to go back to the desktop. By crashing it would say the display driver had recovered from an error.

Everything looks fine out of game though. Then I tried to play other games to see if it'd cause the same issue and they just hard crash or error out. Rebooted and same problem in games only. Tried to load Dungeon Defenders and it would lock up and I'd have to close it with the task manager. I did notice at one point with the screen lockup, there were a handful of multicolored pixels. Modern Warfare 3 the game crashed immediately on joining a game with a DirectX error. Then I removed card #1 and put card #2 in only and everything works fine again.

However, even before pulling out card #1, the desktop and everything that didn't involve launching a 3D game the card would act fine. It was not overheating as it idles at around 30C and full load with everything cranked up at 60C. I've already requested an RMA, but am just wondering am I right in assuming the card has gone bad?
laterna
Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: graphics card issue

Apologies on the late reply, but have you tried updating your driver? These crashes are an often occurance once a card warms up and the drivers are a bit shoddy (I had these a bit on the 570 while playing Rift with everything on max and the card around 65C. A later driver patch fixed said crashes for me)

An RMA is a good option either way!
Volitaire
Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 am

Re: graphics card issue

Chances are there isn't anything wrong with the card. Lately I have been seeing alot of driver crashes out of NVIDIA and WOW. Of course it likely wouldn't hurt to get the card replaced if you wanted to be on the safe side but the real culprit is very likely the driver itself.
Nothan
Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: graphics card issue

Yep, I updated the driver...or attempted to and it even crashed just before the installation finished. It crashed upon opening every game I tried and it's definitely not due to heat as the card is quite cool at idle and full load. RMA'ed it, but I fear MSI's RMA process is very slow and won't see the replacement for another month :P
Nordix
Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: graphics card issue

hi.
your VGA is overheating very probably,and that's f***ing up your VRAM on your card(Or has already effed it)
You fried your VGA,congrats,happened to me aswell with a 9800GT and a HD5750.
Just make sure you cool these cards like mad,they tend to overheat easily,in most cases its NOT a driver issue.
Buy a new one,get replacement,etc

Edit : Yes you wrote its cool on full load etc,its still the VRAM,I'M 100% sure.