So I've read through alot of the threads here vetting new builds. I got some good info, but I was hoping someone might have some more information to help me out.
Currently I own a macbook (that's dying again, needs a new battery and charger cable) It's an old intel macbook one of the first models, and a desktop iMac with an intel Core2 Duo.
It's definitely time to upgrade. With my current situation still needing a laptop for classes, and most of the schools I'm looking at for graduate work requiring a laptop, and since I can't afford both, I figure the best thing to do is buy a laptop.
I do game, so it'd be great if it was capable of handling it well, and would hopefully be good enough to last atleast a few years. I also need to purchase a small desktop for my mom while I'm searching, she needs a more basic system, but upgradeable is desired. I was thinking MicroATX size for her, though open to suggestions.
So I've been trying to read reviews of computers and hardware for about 2 weeks now, and having a really tough time sorting out what's really needed. I guess I've been a mac user so long, I rather lost touch with most of it. There is an incredibly overwhelming amount of information on the net, and I'm not sure I even really understand all of it anymore.
I was looking at the Alienware, though I really get the impression I'm spending out the rear for the name and a pretty box, that would probably leave a Dell for mom. I have looked at Dell laptops but generally the graphics cards don't seem too great.
So can anyone help me get a better idea, on what sort of numbers I really need to be looking at? Is an Intel I5 gonna be capable enough, I'm guessing 8G RAM. I see Nvidia for graphics cards.. which direction should I look there? 550M, 570M? I would think a higher number means better card, but from the reviews it isn't seeming like that's actually the case.
I've also looked at Cyberpower, iBuypower, and Asus in the end I'm hoping for something around the $1000 to $1500 range for the laptop.
Thanks in advance!
Kuripari
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 pm
