So I'm pretty damn fed up with my Drobo and want to migrate to a proper NAS. I see two options before me:
1. Buy some premade box like from Synology or someone similar
- From all reports, the Synology 411j has shitty build quality and you need to screw stuff in and really in this day and age if I don't have at least tray loading HD bays, then fuck that noise
or
2. Buy a bunch of hardware and install FreeNAS
- Need to find a small enclosure that can fit comfortably on my desk, support 4+ drives (without having to screw them all in individually god what is this the stone age here), and not be some sort of overpowered beast that draws umpteen gazillion watts and makes infinity noise.
Does anyone have any experience with ANY of this? Seriously I am coming into this with barely informed opinions and the internet is of little help (besides Drobos are for suckers which I have since learned myself)
Sabindeus
Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm
