As the title suggests, I last got a new computer over 7 years ago (back in college). Last night it got to the point where it took about a half an hour before anything would load or run smoothly. Load times on WOW and my few other games (D3 and SC2) have also become a problem. I've been talking with a co-worker that knows more hardware than me and it sounds like my hard drive or ram are dying. At this point I think it would be better if I just got a new system. The only problem is that I don't really have the money I used to for it. The good news (for me) is that I don't think I'll have a problem keeping my monitor, mouse, keyboard, external HD and I have a copy of my current OS (Windows 7 ultimate) with more installs available. All I am really after at this point is a new tower and everything that goes inside (but I plan to skip the sound card this time). Finally, my point of this thread; are there any resources anybody could recommend for buying a new tower, power supply, mother board, HD, disk drive, processor, ram, graphics card, cooling system and anything I'm forgetting for possibly under $500? If anybody is interested, I got some screenshots of CPU usage and Memory usage of trying to use Chrome 10 minutes after booting and my device manager list: http://imgur.com/a/pk3A6
Edit: I plan to actually build this one myself (with help) and will do what I can to limp along with what I have if my only option is to go with something pre-made.
Edit2: I am well aware of Ars Technica. But the last budget box they put up still came over $500 when I took out the screen and peripherals.
Pfife
Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am
