Skip to content
Maintankadin

Star Wars; Old Republic

Gracerath
Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

I also hear they are down to like 7 servers or something. Man, that is a pretty big difference from launch when it seemed like there weren't enough and everyone had queues upwards of 4 hours (or was it 6?).
bldavis
Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

so..i hear it is F2P now

any confirmation? (my google skills are derping at the moment)
Flex
Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

bldavis wrote:so..i hear it is F2P now

any confirmation? (my google skills are derping at the moment)


I think they just pushed the F2P patch to their test servers.

ETA: The Cartel Market is on the test servers. This is the currency used to unlock game features.
bldavis
Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

ah that could be what it was...
Staatt
Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

I'm still playing casually by leveling up a Sith Inquisitor (now 47). I'm mostly playing it as a single-player game with occasional flashpoints and heroic group-ups. I'll do a couple of weeks of level 50 stuff to give it another shot (I have a 50 Marauder right now), but I expect I'll start up another character as leveling is pretty fun imo.
sahiel
Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Guess who's coming to the party?

HK-51 :D
Torquemada
Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

sahiel wrote:Guess who's coming to the party?

HK-51 :D


Yeah. And he's been "coming" since launch. I wanted to do the questline to get him, but even now the rest of my guild has quit, and I can't justify doing the same raids every week and leveling my other 4 characters to max level to do the same content again and again. The stories are great, but the planets get very, VERY old. Pandaclysm might get old eventually, but I digress.
sahiel
Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Torquemada wrote:I can't justify doing the same raids every week and leveling my other 4 characters to max level to do the same content again and again.


Maybe I'm missing the point but... you just described WoW, and basically every other MMO out there.

Whilst I certainly would have liked some crazy new model for MMOs, there's nothing that's in their model that you won't have to do *exactly* the same thing in WoW. I'm sure lots of people prefer WoW for various reasons and that's cool, but there's no real difference in what you spend your time doing in either game.
Arnock
Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

I think my biggest gripe with swtor was its wasted potential. They could have made a groundbreaking game, and instead they made another wow clone.


Its a common problem with most MMO releases since wow came out. MMO's cost a lot more to develop than other genres, so their's a much greater financial risk involved. This means that, rather than having true innovation in gameplay, most recent MMO's will "play it safe" and release a wow clone with a few new 'shiny' features aimed at drawing people away from Wow.

And so, after an initial, massive surge in players, the game winds up slowly bleeding out as people get bored, before eventually going to a F2P model.
Torquemada
Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

sahiel wrote:
Torquemada wrote:I can't justify doing the same raids every week and leveling my other 4 characters to max level to do the same content again and again.


Maybe I'm missing the point but... you just described WoW, and basically every other MMO out there.

Whilst I certainly would have liked some crazy new model for MMOs, there's nothing that's in their model that you won't have to do *exactly* the same thing in WoW. I'm sure lots of people prefer WoW for various reasons and that's cool, but there's no real difference in what you spend your time doing in either game.


True, but WoW is a lot better about coming out with new content on a more regular basis. The stories were good for the classes, but finishing basically 4 of them I was really done with it. I was able to level multiple alts through WoW over a period of multiple years, and it would be just different enough in playstyle and there would be a mild nostalgia factor. That was assisted by the complete revamp of the old world as well, which made it a lot less crappy for 1-60.

SWTOR plays very, very clunky compared to how WoW is currently implemented in quest design. Combined with the fact that my friends got bored before I did meant that we were barely able to field 8 man operations, which mean a lot of EV and KP.

As I'm in Afghanistan for another 10 months, I limited myself to leveling and doing dailies on my Paladin for Pandaclysm, and that did indeed get boring, which is why I stepped back from it and am now replaying through the Assassin's Creed series while I wait for AC3 to finish downloading. Not to mention the fact that on a GOOD day my ping is 800 ms makes MMOs largely unplayable here.
bldavis
Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

ouch, and i thought my 200-250 was bad... :(
Flex
Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

I played this a bit yesterday. Took me about 4 quests before I got tired of the fully voiced quest system. Made a trooper and since you start out as an officer in the Republic Army I find it hard to believe they send you out alone to assault an enemy base, oh and to find a woman's necklace. Why are so many necklaces lost in RPGs?
sahiel
Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Flex wrote:I played this a bit yesterday. Took me about 4 quests before I got tired of the fully voiced quest system. Made a trooper and since you start out as an officer in the Republic Army I find it hard to believe they send you out alone to assault an enemy base, oh and to find a woman's necklace. Why are so many necklaces lost in RPGs?

Secret hint: It's not *actually* a necklace! :o

DUM DUM DUM! ;)
bldavis
Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

it never is
Staatt
Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Has anyone tried the new expansion?
Yadard
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Yes, completely loving it.